5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do hardware drivers need to be updated?

LANGALIST PLUS

Do hardware drivers need to be updated?

By Fred Langa

A reader encounters popups offering to scan her system and update her drivers.
    Here's what to do — and what not to do — when you encounter offers like those, plus the right way to perform malware scans and driver and software updates.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/do-hardware-drivers-need-to-be-updated/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I still use MS Image Composer all the time (on everything from Xp Pro to Win 7) and have only identified one bug in Win 7. The "Save As" routine sometimes gets confused and over-writes an existing file. My work-around is to keep two folders for graphics. Alternating them on "Save" seems to work just fine. If you want to send a note, I can point you to some installation files.

Regards,

Playtex18

Thanks
    I (and I think others) were complaining about slow MSE initialization after ANY boot (at least in WinXP), NOT about scanning or update slowdowns.

Have you tried monitoring how much CPU time MSE accumulates right after Windows boot-up?

Thanks
    Fred, you really need to look again at Secunia PSI. ( For example,this review) PSI3.0 is nothing like the previous versions, and if Secunia persists in developing this version of PSI, you may wish to seriously reconsider your recommendation of this product.

One further reason to upgrade drivers -- some Microsoft patches and OS upgrades require a few driver updates to install properly. I had this happen with Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1, as well as a few kernel-driver patches for both systems.

If your reader is getting browser popups for scans, it may be time for a Full System Scan with (insert the name of sny legitimate antivirus program here). And a popup blocker if not an all-out ad blocker. No popups, no temptations.

When MSE does an update, it stops and restarts its Services. These in turn can conflict with other Services which are starting up with Windows. I do only manual updates of MSE, but if a reboot occurs before the updater has restarted the MSE Services, they can take longer than usual to load during the next system restart -- hence the longer startup times. True on my single-core Windows XP laptop, but not noticeable on my dual-core Toshiba Satellite (Windows 7 Home Premium).

On my Win XP laptop, MSE Services are generally very slow to load. But I have a ProSet Driver which is also slow to load, so I do not know how these two slow-loading items are interacting, if at all.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use and recommend MSE and have done so since it came out. I've replaced Norton, McAfee and TrendMicro installations that were crippling systems with MSE and found immediate improvement in system response times. There is however one behaviour that I"ve found that seems to be consistant from machine to machine that I've installed it on. This behavior may be what some have commented on about slowing down a system. After MSE is first installed, and you choose not to have it do an initial scan, the MSE processe will consume some significant CPU cycles for some 20 minutes after the first update is downloaded. My only theory is that it is running a scan of some sort - even though you've told it not to. Overall, I've installed MSE 100's of times on all different types of machines and it always runs better than any of the commercial suites.

Thanks
    Anyone who takes the advice, or questions the need to act on a "pop-up" while browsing the internet is in serious need of a talking to. Unless it's your antivirus app telling you there is a problem, people don't need to be responding to these pop-ups. This should be written in stone already.

I turn my computer off or put it into sleep mode alot. Many or most times MSE doesn't get the chance to update via it's internal schedule, so I just end up doing it manually.
    It's a daily chore to do this, but on occasion the update will result in a temporarily longer boot time, but never a permanent one.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re:Driver Backup & Update Programs

I know it's been a while since Fred's March 2012 article in which he wrote (paraphrasing quite a bit) "Some drivers do need to be updated... I recommend that you update drivers in either of these two circumstances:... Most other driver updates ... do little or nothing to improve the operation of existing hardware that’s already running fine. Sometimes they actually make things worse." I know that one of Windows Secrets advertisers is Driver Agent ... BUT ... are hardware backup and update programs (such as Driver Agent) worth the money and effort ? If so, is one of them any/significantly better than the rest ? Thanks John Chinook