2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer Will Not Boot Up

My friend has a Gateway MA3 with WinXP SP3. Recently a relative installed some unknown software that would let him connect to the internet via his cell phone. After a few days the computer ran very slow and eventually would freeze after booting up. Soon it would not boot up at all. I suggested safe mode, which was successful for a few tries, but now the computer will not boot up at all.

He wants to get access to save his photos. Any hope? Any suggestions?

Robert

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully the actual harddisk isn't dying!

If he just wants to save his photos, pop out the harddisk, plug it into a 2nd PC, and copy them off.

If the files are inaccessible from 2nd PC (Password-protected User Account), try making a User Account with the original name and password.

If that doesn't work you need to right-click the 'USERS NAME' folder and select Properties-Permissions-Advanced (still from 2nd PC) and set the 'Owner' to 'Everybody', then they become accessible.

Check the Disk with some free tools to make sure it is in good order - if it is getting old (5-7 years is my personal 'trust-limit') throw it out.
    Then do a nice fresh clean install of XP, and it'll work for many more years!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Katsu999 For This Useful Post:

rjstorms (2012-03-08)