Thanks

Outlook 2010 Install/Set-up

I've just installed Office Pro Plus (French) on a friends PC and when starting Outlook off with a new POP3 mail account it's not loaded it under "Personal Folders" but under the domain name and not in the "user/app/microsoft/Office/Outlook" folder. I came across this before on three of my machines but not the folder issue. I didn't use the set-up wizard because of the POP3/SMTP issue but it seems to have still done it. The account is POP3 but for the life of me can't understand why it's not installed it in the right folder even though it works!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Outlook 2010 will create the new folder under My Documents. Check in My Documents\Outlook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Outlook 2010 will create the new folder under My Documents. Check in My Documents\Outlook.
    Yes.....I realise that but I prefer it to be in C:users\name\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlo ok.pst and cannot understand why it didn't put it there in the first place?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    When you setup a new account, you can define the place to create the pst file and even the name. Even for an existing account, you can simply move the file and when Outlook complains, simply point it to the new location.

Seems that for 2010, Microsoft chose to use My Documents\Outlook as the default folder. Seems a better place, as your email data will be at a known and frequently visited folder, other than a "hidden place". I can see some sense in it, even if I kept mine at the usual folder, being an Outlook user for so many years now.