New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Wireless Problem

I am trying to set up a wireless network on my Windows XP machine using a Netgear MR314 Wireless Router. After using the "Wireless network setup" wizard, there is no wireless icon in "My Network Places" , even when I dig down into it. How do I get Windows to recognize the wireless router?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Pete,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster!

I'll start with the obvious and work up to the harder stuff, don't be offended at some of the suggestions as I have no idea of your technical expertise.

1. The machine in question does have a wireless network adapter?
    2. The wireless adapter is turned on?
    3. The wireless adapter drivers have been loaded?
    4. You've checked the wireless adapter manufacturer's website for driver updates and installed them if available?
    5. The wireless adapter supports the settings you selected on the router, e.g. 802 a/b/g/n and the security level WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.
    6. Have you gone into the Control Panel and run the Network Setup Wizard?

Report back after verifying these and provide any additional information if these don't solve the problem.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Wireless Problem

RetiredGeek,

Thanks for the reply. What I have is a Netgear MR314 Wireless Router attached between the DSL Modem and the network. It looks like I need a wireless access point attached to each machine on the network. Does one wireless access point attached to the network work for each machine on the network? Do I need both a wireless access point and a wireless router? Apparently Windows does not recognize wireless routers as a device attached to the network. If I got a wireless access point and set it up with DHCP on the LAN side would this work?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    All you need now is a wireless access adapter attached to each computer on the network. Each of your computers needs to be able to "talk" to the wireless router and it can do so through a wireless access adapter.