Results 1 to 13 of 13
  • Thread Tools
  1. Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Java Runtime Environment 1.7.0.3 64bit

    Update Checker has found an update for the subject program. I'm running Windows 7 with the IE 9 browser 32-bit and I have the 32 bit Java installed.

    My question is: Do I need the 64 bit version too? I never use the 64 bit IE and never intend to in the foreseable future.

    Gloria
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    19,827
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 522 Times in 477 Posts
    You do not need it.

    Joe

  4. Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You do not need it.

    Joe
    I have removed it using the control panel, so how did Update Checker find it and what should I do so that it will not be found again?
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  5. Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    19,827
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 522 Times in 477 Posts
    Java's automatic Update Checker? I have no idea how that is programmed to work.

    Joe

  6. Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Java's automatic Update Checker? I have no idea how that is programmed to work.

    Joe
    No, I meant File Hippo's Update Checker.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  7. Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    19,827
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 522 Times in 477 Posts
    I have no idea what it is programmed to check either. You might be better off contacting FileHippo. See FileHippo - contact us.

    Joe

  8. Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I have no idea what it is programmed to check either. You might be better off contacting FileHippo. See FileHippo - contact us.

    Joe
    File Hippo is NOT the problem here, my problem is How do I remove the 64-bit version of Java from memory? It's previously been removed using the Control Panel. The file name was the same as the 32-bit version so I couldn't seperate the two using the registry.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  9. 5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    783
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess843 View Post
    my problem is How do I remove the 64-bit version of Java from memory?
    The 32-bit and 64-bit JREs should show up as two different entries in the Programs and Features control panel - the 64-bit edition will have "(64-bit)" at the end. If you uninstall the 64-bit edition, and then remove the c:\Program File\Java directory, then it will be completely gone from your PC.

    As far as registry entries go, after uninstalling search for the string "c:\Program File\Java" and delete all entries containing that string, especially under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ins taller. (There really shouldn't be any entries there after uninstall, but it doesn't hurt to look.)

    Also note that the 62-bit JRE places registry entries at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft while the 64-bit version places them at HKLM\Software\JavaSoft

    If after all this cleanup the File Hippo Update Checker still insists you have a 64-bit JRE, then you will have to do as Joe suggested. Or wait, if you are feeling adventurous, you could run System Monitor from sysinternals and monitor what File Hippo is doing; that might give you a clue as to other file locations or registry entries in which the JRE is hidden - it is always possible that some other program installed a JRE within it directory hierarchy and that is what File Hippo is finding; I know of a lot of programs that embed a JRE, though most are development-related.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to cafed00d For This Useful Post:

    Duchess843 (2012-03-12)

  11. Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    19,827
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 522 Times in 477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duchess843 View Post
    File Hippo is NOT the problem here, my problem is How do I remove the 64-bit version of Java from memory? It's previously been removed using the Control Panel. The file name was the same as the 32-bit version so I couldn't seperate the two using the registry.
    If you have removed using Control Panel I'm guessing you mean you uninstalled the 64-bit version of Java. If you've uninstalled it properly it is no longer in memory. What file name are you talking about?

    Joe

  12. 5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    771
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 49 Times in 49 Posts
    Windows 7 x64 contains 32bit & 64bit versions of IE.

    Filehippo appears to behaving properly in that it has detected both versions and wants to keep Java up to date for both versions.

    Leave it alone.

    We don't want you back here in 6 months time complaining that 64bit java doesn't work!

  13. Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Windows 7 x64 contains 32bit & 64bit versions of IE.

    Filehippo appears to behaving properly in that it has detected both versions and wants to keep Java up to date for both versions.

    Leave it alone.

    We don't want you back here in 6 months time complaining that 64bit java doesn't work!
    Browni, may I ask who is this WE you speak of? I've been a member of this forum since April, 2002 and am now a Silver Lounger. If by asking questions or seeking help, I don't think the other members or the staff will complain.

    FYI: Another member advised me that I did not need the 64-bit Java, probably because I never intend to use the 64-bit version of IE. If you had read my earlier posts you would have seen this information.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  14. Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    The 32-bit and 64-bit JREs should show up as two different entries in the Programs and Features control panel - the 64-bit edition will have "(64-bit)" at the end. If you uninstall the 64-bit edition, and then remove the c:\Program File\Java directory, then it will be completely gone from your PC.

    As far as registry entries go, after uninstalling search for the string "c:\Program File\Java" and delete all entries containing that string, especially under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ins taller. (There really shouldn't be any entries there after uninstall, but it doesn't hurt to look.)

    Also note that the 62-bit JRE places registry entries at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft while the 64-bit version places them at HKLM\Software\JavaSoft

    If after all this cleanup the File Hippo Update Checker still insists you have a 64-bit JRE, then you will have to do as Joe suggested. Or wait, if you are feeling adventurous, you could run System Monitor from sysinternals and monitor what File Hippo is doing; that might give you a clue as to other file locations or registry entries in which the JRE is hidden - it is always possible that some other program installed a JRE within it directory hierarchy and that is what File Hippo is finding; I know of a lot of programs that embed a JRE, though most are development-related.
    Thank you Cafed00d for all that good information. I now have Java 32-bit installed, in control panel it's listed as Java 7 Update 3. After runing the registry editor and still not being able to install Java, I decided to use JavaRa which removed all old versions. Installing Java then succeeded, I also checked the version on Java's website and saw the message "You are now using Java" (or words to that effect). I believe Java 7 update 3 is the latest, am I correct? It must be because the programs I run that use Java did not complain that I needed a new version.

    I will keep your post for the next time I have problems uninstalling Java.
    Thanks again.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  15. Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    The 32-bit and 64-bit JREs should show up as two different entries in the Programs and Features control panel - the 64-bit edition will have "(64-bit)" at the end. If you uninstall the 64-bit edition, and then remove the c:\Program File\Java directory, then it will be completely gone from your PC.

    As far as registry entries go, after uninstalling search for the string "c:\Program File\Java" and delete all entries containing that string, especially under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ins taller. (There really shouldn't be any entries there after uninstall, but it doesn't hurt to look.)

    Also note that the 62-bit JRE places registry entries at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft while the 64-bit version places them at HKLM\Software\JavaSoft

    If after all this cleanup the File Hippo Update Checker still insists you have a 64-bit JRE, then you will have to do as Joe suggested. Or wait, if you are feeling adventurous, you could run System Monitor from sysinternals and monitor what File Hippo is doing; that might give you a clue as to other file locations or registry entries in which the JRE is hidden - it is always possible that some other program installed a JRE within it directory hierarchy and that is what File Hippo is finding; I know of a lot of programs that embed a JRE, though most are development-related.
    I finally had to use JavaRa to remove all older versions of Java. After it finished I reinstalled Java and it installed.

    Thanks for all your help.
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •