Thread: PDFs

Banned Member
    Thanks

PDFs

A wee tip/suggestion:

Rt Clk on .pdf file
    Set it (them) to default to 'Other' (PDF) Reader rather than the out-of-the-box Windows Reader (App) when opening.

Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-03-09 at 03:28.

Thanks
    Hi Drew,
    A better tip/suggestion. Look at the size of space used by Adobe Reader, their are others that use a lot less. My pdf reader is portable.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, cool. The point was to not necessarily have use the Windows Reader App for PDFs... didn't really need to specify an alternative to WR. The aim was to merely point out what was available & how & where to modify, from default.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    There, I reworded it since it's not about Adobe

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    The problem is that the Metro apps are not nearly as complete as is Win 8 CP, and that includes the Windows PDF reader. Because of that I will continue using a 3rd party PDF reader. When the MS versions of Metro apps become more complete, I'll see.

For example even though MS PDF Reader is the default PDF reader in Win 8 CP, it is not included in IE 10. There is NO PDF add on included in IE 10. It appears there are a few 3rd party PDF extensions available.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    FYI:

Just letting you know I have just written to the W8 Build Team regarding the condition of many APPs that many ppl are noticing. Indicating a natural desire amongst (potential) End Users to have this rectified, @ least, by RTM.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I have chosen to open all PDF files on my PC with my default reader, PDF-XChange Viewer. However, I am having problems opening PDF files in my browser. My banking statements, my pay statements and courses I take a work all use PDF formats and IE 10 does not seem to co-operate in opening these files. I have to go back to Win 7, open them in IE 9, download them and save them to my PC, then I can open them in Win 8 CP and view them, print them, move them, save them, whatever. I am still working on the opening in browser part. I will post back when I figure this out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have chosen to open all PDF files on my PC with my default reader, PDF-XChange Viewer. However, I am having problems opening PDF files in my browser. My banking statements, my pay statements and courses I take a work all use PDF formats and IE 10 does not seem to co-operate in opening these files. I have to go back to Win 7, open them in IE 9, download them and save them to my PC, then I can open them in Win 8 CP and view them, print them, move them, save them, whatever. I am still working on the opening in browser part. I will post back when I figure this out.
    If those are all secure https sites, it could be that you need to uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to disk".

Bruce

Thanks
    Already unchecked. I installed Foxit Reader and the PDFs all opened in IE 10. I will have to examine this further as I have time because PDF-XChange Viewer has been super until now. This may just be a minor glitch. Otherwise, who knows, Foxit Reader may become my new reader with Win 8 CP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted