New Lounger
    Thanks

Why crash after adding RAM?

I recently increased the RAM in my Acer Laptop from 4 GB to 8 GB. It booted immediately and all testing indicates that memory is now ~8 GB. However, it has started to crash almost every day. Is there something about Windows 7 that cannot operate with 8 GB of RAM? Is there some Windows update that may be causing this? I am very careful to do a frequent Registry Cleaning that seems to resolve other problems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Probably you have a faulty DIMM, I would say that is the most likely cause. You can try a memory test, but that is usually slow and not always conclusive. How many RAM sticks did you add? Can you add them not all at once and see if the computer works properly that way?

Thanks
    Run something like CPU-Z (the SPD tab) or preferably (since results are on one page) SIW (Click on Hardware then on Memory) to check that both SODIMMs have the same characteristics.
    By that I mean that the Memory Type, Speed and Timings should be the same. If this is not the case, then unhappiness can occur...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Run a memory test on it for at least 6 hrs, like memtest86.
    Clean and reseat the memory in their respective dimms. Ensure that there are no metal shavings anywhere.
    Consult the motherboards specs on any specific instruction set when it comes to installing, or adding more memory.
    If you have error in the memtest86, an RMA will be in order.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-03-10 at 21:07.

Thanks
    Or, if you added just 1 DIMM, remove the original DIMM and run with just the new one. If you still see crashes, you definitely have a bad or incompatible DIMM.

Jerry

Thanks
    I've always made it a point when increasing RAM to replace all the old DIMMs. In other words, if I were to increase RAM from 4GB to 8GB, I would order an 8GB matched set in a configuration that will fill all DIMM slots. When that set arrived, I would remove the old RAM and install the 8GB matched set.
    I've never mixed RAM DIMM sets, even from the same manufacturer with the same specs. And I've never had any problems that were RAM related. It's a bit more costly, but I just consider it as insurance.
    YMMV.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-03-10 at 09:43.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows