New Lounger
    Thanks

Shut down / XP startup

When I attempt to shut down, the screen goes black/blank but the laptop does not shut down completely as there are still lights on. Pressing any key including escape and the on switch makes no difeerence: the only way to shut down completely is to unplug it and take out the battery. What am I doing wrong?

Other problem : on starting the laptop,, I'm offered both Wondows 8 OS or XP. If i choose XP, I get an error message that "Load needed DLLs for kernel". What can I do about that?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Paul,

Please, tell me how you went about setting up your dual-boot? Or was it?

Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-03-09 at 19:47.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm afraid to say that I did nothing: pig ignorance. all I did was download the Windows 8 OS and let it get on with it (I know - big mistake!)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Do you mean, on top of the XP... as in, not dual-boot set-up?

Thanks
    Sounds like you installed Win 8 CP directly over Win XP, then tried to do something to it and corrupted the install. It sounds like you have a choice to make. Reinstall your XP OS from whatever means you have available to you. I do not know if you have an XP installation disk. If not perhaps you can borrow one. Or you can purchase a Win 7 disk and install that in the first partition.

Create an Image of whatever OS you install with whatever Imaging app you choose to use and store the Image off the HD (mine are on an Ext HD). Also make a Boot disk from the Imaging app.

Then take the Win 8 CP iso file and burn it to a DVD. (I suppose you will have to download it again after you reinstall your other OS and all your apps) Insert the DVD and reboot and choose custom install. When you choose custom install select to install to the empty partition. This will install the Win 8 CP to the second partition. This way whether you have Win XP or Win 7 in partition C, you will have Win 8 CP in the other partition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Caution: Data Ahead And About To Be Destroyed

Important question/consideration before doing anything:
    Is there any important data on your hard drive not backed up like documents, pictures, videos, banking data, etc.?
    If so, get that data off the hard drive FIRST. Two ways to do this is by taking out the hard drive and hooking it up to another computer as an external or booting with a Linux Live CD. More specific help from forum members - just ask.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions : let's forget what I should have done - too late now. I neglected to mention that this is a notebook so no CD/DVD drive and therefore no installation disc though I do have revery discs for previous computers (probably no use) as I also do not have an external DVD drive.

I think that my best solution is to keep Windows 8, forget about XP and install new software on the notebook. However tihs does not solve the shutdown problem so any solutions gratefully received

Banned Member
    Thanks
    So basically, you're simply saying you cannot shut off, except to pull the plug? If you tell it to reboot, what happens? Nothing?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I attempt to shut down, the screen goes black but the on/off button and internet connection light stay lit. Pushing the on/off button achieves nothing so I unplug and remove the battery. Not the end of the world but not ideal. Any suggestions?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    How old is the machine? What make & model level?

Thanks
    It is possible the Win 8 CP installation was corrupted. The download itself could have been corrupted (This was a problem with many of the Win 8 DP downloads) or the installation could have been corrupted. It might be worth the effort to download the file once again, then reinstall Win 8 CP from scratch. This would effectively elliminate that possibility from the equation. Then if the problem is still present you can be pretty certain it's likely a hardware problem or incompatibility issue, although Win 8 CP has been running quite well on some pretty old hardware.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried downloading again and reinstalling but with no improvement but didn't lose my programs this time.
    Will just have to live with it for now until I can afford a real OS. Is there a time limit on the Preview?