Thread: Uninstalling

New Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstalling

Now that I've messed up my laptop by not doing a proper dual boot, is it possible to uninstall W8 and hopefully get back to XP if necessary? If so , how?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No. You can't uninstall an operating system. You must boot to your XP reinstall disk and delete the partition with win 8 and install XP. Then you need to do all the updates and reinstall all your programs and files.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the official quote from MS windows 8 FAQ's site: Can I uninstall Windows 8 Consumer Preview?
    No. To go back to your previous version of Windows, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC; typically DVD media. If you don’t have recovery media you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer’s website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    No Beta OS should be installed except as follows:

1. On a spare machine
    2. Virtually
    3. As a dual-boot.

Never as an Upgrade or replacement to an existing, current, non-beta OS. Never on a production machine.
    Nor, BTW, can one move from 1 Beta of an OS to the next or from Beta to RTM, etc... from Build to Build or stage to stage, except by clean installs.

Programs & software must be installed, after a fresh OS install.

Cheers,
    Drew

Paul,

You will have to format & completely reinstall XP from scratch. Sorry, mate.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paulallard View Post
    Now that I've messed up my laptop by not doing a proper dual boot, is it possible to uninstall W8 and hopefully get back to XP if necessary? If so , how?
    paulallard,

Hello... It depends how you "messed up" If it's just a matter of your "MBR" or something else ... Could you provide more details? What is happening now ? EX:

1. Can you boot into any OS?
    2. When looking at your BIOS Boot Menu what do you see? (<Esc=Boot Menu> on my PC.)
    3. What does Disk Manager show?
    4. What version of XP? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    If you by any chance made an Image of your XP OS before you attempted this installation, then you can just restore the XP OS. If not you should hope Fred is on the right track and it's just a matter of the MBR being messed up. Hopefully you made an XP repair disk at least or have an installation disk or can borrow an installation disk for XP. If so you can repair the MBR from the Repair Console. This site gives details on how to do this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, hopefully, repairing MBR can happen; if, not...

Paul, do you or did you have only a C:\ drive? Just 1 drive, 1 partition? 2 are necessary to create a dual-boot.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just in case you missed my comment in your original message:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...own-XP-startup

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions : let's forget what I should have done - too late now. I neglected to mention that this is a notebook so no CD/DVD drive and therefore no installation disc though I do have recovery discs for previous computers (probably no use) as I also do not have an external DVD drive.

I think that my best solution is to keep Windows 8, forget about XP and install new software on the notebook.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "I think that my best solution is to keep Windows 8, forget about XP and install new software on the notebook."

Sure, Paul. That works. Then purchase an OS or computer @ the end of this year.

Thanks
    It is possible the Win 8 CP installation was corrupted. The download itself could have been corrupted (This was a problem with many of the Win 8 DP downloads) or the installation could have been corrupted. It might be worth the effort to download the file once again, then reinstall Win 8 CP from scratch. This would effectively elliminate that possibility from the equation. Then if the problem is still present you can be pretty certain it's likely a hardware problem or incompatibility issue, although Win 8 CP has been running quite well on some pretty old hardware.

This thread is very similar in content to your other thread. It's hard to determine if the context you are looking for is fidderent so I posted this answer in both.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy