Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Amusing as some of these anecdotes are, the fundamental issue is that these are criminally fraudulent calls. An 83 year old client of mine was recently conned out of £500 by these criminals. His computer was hijacked and his bank details stolen in the process.

Not a nice situation.

The message remains: tell all of your friends and family that these cold calls from "John at Microsoft online security department" are fraudulent. Do not be taken in by them and inform your bank and local police if you believe you have been made a victim.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It just happened in the Netherlands as well. They used 0016072719258 as their telephone number (shown on my phone, but can that number be spoofed). My PC was hacked, so they need to do something to repair it. When I asked further on how he got my number he hang up. By the way: he did not get access to my PC!!!!
    André
    It would be nice if computers were designed to HELP users, not to frustrate users...

Thanks
    Elders are mostly the victim of these swindlers. Actually, this is also nhappened to someone close to where I live. The lady went to the police station where my husband works to file a report. Luckily, she was smart enough to call her daughter to see if her grandson really needed money. I don't know why there are elders who gave in to these scams.

What makes the elderly more vulnerable to this kind of crime?

Check this out!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well "learning still," I too was feeling let down about not getting a phone call for phony tech support from Microsoft. However, last week AVAST (Having been a loyal fan for several years, I'm feeling betrayed.) took care of this for me. The following is an account of my experience:

After downloading the latest version of AVAST, I received a message about adding devices to my account. When I attempted to find out more, I couldn't access my account.

So I called customer support, and ultimately made contact with Havel who showed me a graph supposedly representing the myriad problems on my PC. There were many blinking symbols on some sort of graph. Havel could not say just what the blinking symbols represented or what the values on the axes were.

He said some of my problems were due to not uploading MS updates. When I said I used Windows Update, Havel skipped over that and would not admit to knowing anything about it.

Havel said the only way to solve these problems was to purchase a support package for about $300. Then MS technicians working onsite at AVAST would fix all the issues for me. They would even continue to fix issues for me for the following year” Later, Havel said the technicians were MS-trained technicians--I never knew that MS itself trains technicians.

Since my PC seems to be working fine, I told this helpful fellow I'd like to think this over and call AVAST back later. Havel said this would be impossible as he is not permitted to give out the telephone number for arranging service from the MS-trained technicians.

Obviously, I'm now considering several options for replacing AVAST.
    Last edited by csmart4125; 2013-10-21 at 08:59. Reason: fix typos

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Phoenix1, unfortunately the minds of many people gradually deteriorate as they age and they become senile. I belong to a computer group for seniors over the age of fifty. Several people in the group devote quite an amount of mental energy trying to determine whether or not doctors can afford telephones. Several others are convinced that doctors have time to hang around the computer lab late in the evening. Obviously, most doctors have too little time to hang around our computer lab late in the evening.

Studies have shown that seniors talk to strangers on the telephone because they enjoy the attention. Since their minds are deteriorating, they don't comprehend that these strangers are not safe people to talk to. My mother unfortunately talks to people she's never heard of and even buys stock from some of them.

The best thing for keeping one's mind is using it. Learning new things combined with physical activity will help one preserve his or her mental function.
    Last edited by csmart4125; 2013-10-21 at 09:17.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post
    After downloading the latest version of AVAST, I received a message about adding devices to my account. When I attempted to find out more, I couldn't access my account.

So I called customer support, and ultimately made contact with Havel who showed me a graph supposedly representing the myriad problems on my PC.
    Havel said the only way to solve these problems was to purchase a support package for about $300.
    The email was probably not genuine: Fake email spoofs AVAST

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, This bogus email you mention is certainly a cause for AVAST users to become cautious.

However, the link refers to a different situation than I encountered. I initiated the phone call to customer support at a number provided by AVAST. My advice to everyone is to be extra cautious, if after updating AVAST, one finds he or she can't follow up on the invitation from AVAST to add devices. The invitation to add devices came from a web page with avast.com in its address.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by csmart4125 View Post
    I initiated the phone call to customer support at a number provided by AVAST.
    Not in that message?

Bruce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12