Thanks

Unexplained warning message

I have created a bunch of Word 07 template forms for my office. They are stored on a network drive and the users have been using them just fine for the last 2 years without incident. Now, all of a sudden, if they open a form that they generated from one of the templates, make edits to it and then try to save, they get the warning message "You have modified styles, building blocks (such as cover pages or headers), or other content that is stored in "document name".dot. Do you want to save changes to "document name".dot?" They are usually only adding or deleting text, so I can't figure out why this comes up. If they press No it will go away. If they press yes, of course a save as menu comes up. It's quite annoying because the document has already been saved. Can anybody explain this or tell me how to prevent it? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Bigshrimp,

The message relates to the template the document is based on. Unless the users are opening the template, instead of creating a document from it, it's not referring to the file that was opened. If the template has a macro or a link to another file in it that modifies it's own content when a document is opened, that could explain the message. Alternatively, the implication is that the user is trying to change their document in a way that affects the tedmplate (eg by changing a Style definition and trying to make it global).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    I think I partially figured it out. The network drive that points to where the templates are located was added to the trusted locations in Word options, but for some reason, the trusted location that I added has disappeared and gone back to the default of c:\...\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. I do not know what would cause it to go back to the default. I don't think it is anything that the users are doing.