Thanks

Comedy of errors--NOT

Running Win7 Home, 64 bit with 6G of Ram.

I debated whether to post this in Security or here in IE, because I still think there is something lurking that I haven't found, however, I'll start here. [move it if you think best] I did post about having the same problem with Adobe Flash Player as someone else has, however that is not the worst of it.

This morning I could not log in to this forum without getting a script running message that totally locked things up, and finally revealed AppHangB1 error. Couldn't find anything useful in MS helps. (I do have the entire text of the error message if it helps). Had to leave the house for a few hours and came back to find that my Norton Internet Security was not working, jumped through all of Norton's hoops and it said they could not find anything wrong. Malwarebytes said the same thing, but I finally had to reinstall Norton IS and it is working again now, and still shows nothing wrong.

I am now getting some scripting errors with different programs. Not locking things up and it does go away when I click to quit running whatever it is.

I am way over my head when this many things go haywire at the same time.

Barbara

Thanks
    Was there any indication of a problem with Norton before this all started? Other than Norton not running, what led you to reinstall Norton? Have you thought about trying a different AV/AM app to see if the problem reoccurs? If the problem comes back with Norton, I would think about that just to rule out Norton as the possibility.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    No previous problem with Norton. Had just looked at it this morning to see if it was completely updated, after getting the error message here about the script running and all was fine.

When I tried to run it, a Norton error message came up, had an option to click for repair, etc and then it told me it could not be fixed. When I loaded the Norton disk, prior to the reinstall, I did try the repair option in it, and it scanned, including for rootkits. I know all this back and forth took a heck of a long time, with scans etc.

I did think about installing my last system backup which is 3 weeks old, but decided, perhaps wrongly, to try reinstalling Norton first. Also thought about another AV program and would have had to download something. I wasn't all that eager to go on line to download anything with no AV present. Guess I need to have another program copy available for something like this. Somewhere in the midst of all this, I did run Malwarebytes, which is also up to date.

Thanks for any further suggestions you might have.

Barbara

Thanks
    Might be worth monitoring for a while to see if problem reoccurs. I would also download the exe file of another Av app of your choice just for a backup to try should the need arise. You say your backup is 3 weeks old. Is this an Image? 3 weeks isn't bad. There should not have been too many changes since then. I would just create a new back up of any data then restore the Image of another problem occurs as well. Sometimes isolating these problems can be a problem in and of inself.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know if you tried it, but for virtually any kind of IE browser issue, I automatically go to Tools, Internet Options (or Control Panel, Internet Options) to the Advanced tab and click RESET. Then clear all settings. You will have to reset your homepage, you will have to re-enter saved passwords, you will lose the address listings in your address bar (they should be saved in Favorites, not up there), and you will have to re-show the menu bar, status bar, or any other bars you want... but you will fix a whole variety of other problems.

That and CHKDSK are the first answers to any bizarre computer problems...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I would also download the exe file of another Av app of your choice just for a backup to try should the need arise..
    Thanks Ted.

(1) I did download AVG and have it sitting there to be installed in an emergency, but I did find that when I d/l the 64 bit version it gave me a message that it couldn't run on 32bit machine. Tried it on two different ones, both being 64. So then d/l the 32 bit version, and it seems like it would run okay. which brings me to question

(2)If I wanted to run it to do a scan, how do I disable Norton temporarily so they don't get into a fight. There is the option to disable the Auto Protect, and the Firewall. Would that be sufficient? Then if AVG doesn't find anything either, I can stuff it back in the "box".

(3) I am no longer getting the scripts garbage, but still have the thing about Adobe flash needed to view You Tube, when flash is right there with a fresh install.

(4) I think I have a headache!!!

Barbara

Thanks
    I did solve the Video problem with Adobe. On thier web site (when in doubt...... check the web site DUH) and find that there was an update to Flash player on 3/6, which is about the time mine got wonky. They post a fix to enable Shockwave Flash in IE, which I did, and now it works.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html for anyone else with THAT problem.

Barbara