4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SSD Accelerator just ruined my SSD performance

Although we normally use CCleaner on all our home computers, I also have System Mechanic with its specialized tools. Recently, Iolo System Mechanic notified me that an update was available, so I downloaded and installed the latest System Mechanic 10.7. Before running the new version I ran CCleaner (so I could later see what extra junk files Sys. Mech. would find). I also used Windows 7 Backup to create a System Image which was saved onto a separate hard drive. Next, ran some hard drive benchmarks to use for later comparison. See screenshot below.

Then ran Sys. Mech. cleanup routine which found more junk files and redundant/invalid Registry items (as expected) and removed them, after which the PC was restarted.

Next, ran Sys. Mech.'s SSD Accelerator application which is supposed to boost SSD performance. Afterwards, I restarted the PC and ran those benchmark tests again. The real shocker was the ATTO benchmark often used by SSD manufacturers because it's an "easy" test that usually shows fast/flattering results. Before running SSD Accelerator, the Kingston SSD attained peak 230/200MB/sec. sequential Read/Write speeds. After running the SSD Accelerator, the peak speeds dropped drastically to 97/46MB/sec. sequential Read/Write. See screenshot below.

I've written to Iolo tech support to ask them what is going on, how can I restore performance, etc.

Meanwhile, does anyone here have any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this effect besides me?

Of course, I can restore from the backup image created earlier, and yet I'm curious about the whole affair and what other forum users may be able to contribute to the discussion.

Should also mention that I frequently recommend CCleaner to friends and other computer owners as a safe, sane tool for helping to maintain performance, and also caution them against using more "aggressive" cleaners unless they are sure they know what they're doing! But, golly, I just had to​ try out the latest tuneup tools!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe you SSD is misaligned which can cause slow downs some times. There is a tool (not free to actually align SSD but free to test for alignment) called Paragon Alignment Tool . If it shows as misaligned will have to pay to correct the drive but it does it without any loss of data so do not have to reinstall windows like some others require.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alignment tool says OK

Downloaded the free alignment test and ran it. It says the SSD is correctly aligned, no adjustment necessary.

I noticed when booting up this morning that boot time has increased from about 20 seconds to about 30 seconds. Also, last night when loading a game (Crysis 2) it took longer than usual so, clearly, the System Mechanic SSD Accelerator does the opposite of what it claims!

If anyone knows how to restore performance without invoking the backup image that's available then I would love to hear it!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try disabling System Mechanic from starting with windows in msconfig. just in case it doing scans during boot-up.
    Also need to check if Trim is enabled. But not sure how to do that without paying for SSD Tweaker

The free version may tell you if Trim is enabled by pressing F9 key but have to pay for the advanced SSD tweaking. but may repair what SM messed up.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-03-12 at 05:47.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Try disabling System Mechanic from starting with windows in msconfig. just in case it doing scans during boot-up.
    Also need to check if Trim is enabled. But not sure how to do that without paying for SSD Tweaker

The free version may tell you if Trim is enabled by pressing F9 key but have to pay for the advanced SSD tweaking. but may repair what SM messed up.
    Actually, there's an easier way to check if TRIM is enabled in Windows 7:
    Open Command Prompt with Administrative privileges (Run as administrator) and enter the follow command.
    fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
    If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.

I can confirm TRIM is enabled on my system, but it has done nothing to improve/restore performance over the last couple of days.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think it might be pertinent to ask the vendor of System Mechanic to explain, in detail and without marketing fluff, exactly how it is meant to boost the performance of an SSD.

To quote the website:
    Streamlines, optimizes, and prolongs the life of modern solid-state drives, keeping them running at peak performance.

Although solid state drives (SSDs) enjoy a significant speed advantage over traditional hard disk drives, it doesn't mean they are impervious to slowdown or degradation over time. With regular, everyday use, many users have found that these drives begin to suffer from incremental performance loss.

To resolve this problem, iolo's engineers designed SSD Accelerator™ to proactively optimize solid state drives to keep them running at the peak of speed and efficiency. SSD Accelerator has also been designed to work together with System Mechanic's other drive optimization tools and its patented ActiveCare® technology in order to ensure that all of your data storage drives are automatically optimized for maximum performance and longevity on a regular basis.
    There is nothing in that statement that indicates an improvement in performance: only maintenance (Trim, partition alignment etc) which you have shown are enabled out of the box on a modern OS.

I know it's late (well it is in the UK anyway!), but oil and snake are words that come to mind.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "
    There is nothing in that statement that indicates an improvement in performance: only maintenance (Trim, partition alignment etc) which you have shown are enabled out of the box on a modern OS."

If many users have found their SSD performance has begun to suffer, and Iolo says they designed SSD Accelerator to resolve this problem, then one must conclude that said tool must improve SSD performance in order to meet its stated goal, mustn't one?

Today I received an email response from Iolo Customer Care which does NOT address my issue/problem at all :
    Thank you for contacting iolo technologies Customer Care department. We have reviewed your inquiry and think the following knowledge base articles will help you with your issue. - Does SSD Accelerator defragment solid-state drives? http://www.iolo.com/customercare/kba...x?ID=KBA-02237 - Is defragmenting a solid-state drive (SSD) harmful? http://www.iolo.com/customercare/kba...x?ID=KBA-02182

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If many users have found their SSD performance has begun to suffer, and Iolo says they designed SSD Accelerator to resolve this problem, then one must conclude that said tool must improve SSD performance in order to meet its stated goal, mustn't one?
    Not necessarily.

Which users have found their performance has degraded and what is the root cause of that degradation? I doubt that the SSD manufacturer will share that information with a 3rd party. The most likely cause of problems for an SSD will be on older OS's such as XP that do not fully implement Trim or partition alignment. Win 7 fully supports the SSD out of the box. If an SSD performance degrades on Win 7, I would look to the manufacturer rather than a 3rd party.

The absolute performance of an SSD is determined by the Flash technology and the drive firmware. Those will be inaccessible to a 3rd party. The OS and motherboard chipset will have a significant effect, but they are not the SSD and tweaking a Windows setting does not adjust the SSD.

Perhaps it's juts me, but I prefer to know what a product is doing, rather than what the vendor's marketing men say it is doing.