New Lounger
    Thanks

Norton 360 Outrageous message!

I have been using Norton 360 for a few years. This time, I have decided to let my subscription run out to see what would happen.
    I always thought that you bought the software and that you paid for an update subscription. However, the warning I got was a bit different.

Like the report, the form had four zones
    1. PC Security - At Risk! - You are not protected against threats. Please renew your subscription.
    2. Identity Protection - At Risk! - Your transactions are not secure. Please...
    3. Backup - At Risk! - Backup cannot run. Please... You can restore your files for a limited time only, after which your backed-up data will be deleted.
    4. PC Tuneups cannot run. Please...

I could not believe #3! Not only does the software become useless when the subscription expires except for an unspecified limited time but it will stay active enough to carry-out its mischief!

If I had not already purchased another copy for the next year I don't think I would have renewed. I dont like the idea of Norton destroying the data on my NAS drives. The data is mine! The device storage device is mine!

Other than that, the software has worked resaonably well, giving only the odd false positive for certain types of software like a window serial retrieval application. I have not used the Identity protection; would Norton publicise my passwords if I did not renew?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Probably that was written somewhere when you bought the software, that is access to your backups. I don't think Norton would publicize any passwords. They would surely be breaking a few laws if they did that.

mart44
    I wonder if number 3 might only be referring to their own online storage as mentioned under the heading 'Backup and Restore' in this page?

http://uk.norton.com/360/

I've no experience of making backups using Norton but if backing up to a local drive was done using Norton software and the same software is needed to access it, then maybe the deletion message doesn't mean those files. Only that they will become inaccessible via the software a short wile after Norton has expired. If this is the case, there would be a need to do something about that if intending to discontinue using Norton 360.

Thanks
    I would immediately acquire:

1) A new AV/AM app. Many use MSE very effectively.

2) A new Imaging app. There are many paid for and free apps available that will not destroy your stored backups, and will allow you to restore those backups at any time in the future if the need arises.

I gave up on Norton many years ago and haven't looked back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't look at that message as sinister but rather a company going the "extra step" to try and keep your business. Norton 360 offers backup services as you know, but where did you store your backups? You had to have let them store it on their servers as opposed to an external hd, etc. Norton does not have the ability to delete backups stored anywhere other than on thier own system. They give you the option of where to store it so change what you have. Its completely understandable for any storage company to delete what isn't paid for, no different than using a storage facility to store your couch. You need to pay them to store it. If you don't, adios couch.

http://www.123seminarsonly.com/Tips/...orton-360.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I would immediately acquire:

1) A new AV/AM app. Many use MSE very effectively.

2) A new Imaging app. There are many paid for and free apps available that will not destroy your stored backups, and will allow you to restore those backups at any time in the future if the need arises.

I gave up on Norton many years ago and haven't looked back.
    You and thousands, maybe even millions of other people. Eh?

For all Norton problems, I have one simple tool that takes care of it.

It's called the "Norton Removal Tool".
    Why pay good money for a program that's known world wide to cause so many problems?
    "That does not compute!"

Just removing it solves all the problems.

The very best AV and AS software in the world is 100% FREE

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

mart44
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Just removing it solves all the problems.
    What problems? I haven't got any. For every person experiencing a problem with Norton and mentioning it on the Internet, there are a huge number of users for whom Norton runs smoothly. They aren't likely to write and say that though. People get trouble with all AV programs, free or paid.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    The very best AV and AS software in the world is 100% FREE
    Free for now maybe and debatable whether free is best. Talking generally, free versions seem to depend greatly on a fair number of people going to paid versions or donating where applicable. It looks like not enough people do this because more and more free programs are partnering with companies who provide toolbars and searches. I'd guess this would be to help finance the software. If this doesn't work and not enough people are willing to support software by switching to the paid versions, then I feel that 'free' will eventually need to be 'fee'. MSE can't be included in this because it is supplied by Microsoft who make money in other ways. From what I read though, MSE isn't thought to be that good my many.

Thanks
    Actually MSE is thought to be very good by many! Including me! I gave up on Norton many years ago and will never go back. This is just the latest of many bad moves Norton has done!

I have read many tests of AV suites, both paid and free apps. I always look at the group running the tests, who is paying for the tests, who advertises on the site, and so forth. I have read many good reports of MSE and a few lackluster reports. But the same can be said for any security app. So I will go by my experience. None of the PC's I have set the security scheme up for using MSE as the AV/AM app has every had a successful infestation, period. Nuff said.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-10 at 13:35.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
    What problems? I haven't got any. For every person experiencing a problem with Norton and mentioning it on the Internet, there are a huge number of users for whom Norton runs smoothly. They aren't likely to write and say that though. People get trouble with all AV programs, free or paid.

mart,
    Hello..I completely agree ..Norton has gotten a "Bad Rap" I have used one version or another for years, (now NIS 2012) and have never had any problems .. The "Freebies" can't even begin to compare with Nortons "Form and Function" As far as using their "Backup service" ....well what do you expect ? they aren't going to keep your "Online Backups" for free, after your subscription expires. Personally i think keeping your backups on line is a "Goofy idea" to begin with... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

mart44
    Actually MSE is thought to be very good by many! Including me! I gave up on Norton many years ago and will never go back. This is just the latest of many bad moves Norton has done!

I have read many tests of AV suites, both paid and free apps. I always look at the group running the tests, who is paying for the tests, who advertises on the site, and so forth. I have read many good reports of MSE and a few lackluster reports. But the same can be said for any security app. So I will go by my experience. None of the PC's I have set the security scheme up for using MSE as the AV/AM app has every had a successful infestation, period. Nuff said.
    It's a debate that goes on Ted and I take the opposite view. I used MSE when Windows 7 came out along with Phoenix, the Windows firewall add-on. Then read about other security solutions and went on to actually try them for myself. After going through a few free security combinations, I eventually tried NIS and have never looked back. I'd much rather use this than MSE. NIS works great and it forms part of a layered security setup that has remained the same on my computer for more than 3 trouble-free years. Having tried the rest, I wouldn't want to be without the NIS part of it. I think that would be my period, nuff said.

Thanks
    That's why they call these things Personal Computers. Because we can use whatever we want. I think the biggest part of this equation is to find something that works and use it. If Norton works for you and my esteemed colleague Fred, then go for it. MSE works for many others of us. I've always said that security is not a single app thing anyway. Security, IMHO, is and should always be a multi-layered approach. No single app will catch everything, thus a multi-layer security blanket utilizing an AV/AM suite and a S/W firewall and in my case a H/W firewall in my router, and manual scans regularly with other AM apps.

This multilayered approach can almost counteract the weakest link, the user themselves. Our habits when using our PC's are perhaps the biggest determining factor in keeping our PC's clean.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

mart44
    Security, IMHO, is and should always be a multi-layered approach.
    We can agree there Ted. Here are my layers. All a bit off-topic and I hope that's OK. There have been comments on the original subject:

Layer 1 is Sandboxie. Safe browsing habits may not be so safe these days. There might be no telling if a link leads to a site with risks attached or not. Sandboxie doesn't trust any site. If anything dodgy is encountered while browsing, it isn't likely to get out of the sandbox and infect the system.

Layer 2 is Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro monitoring in realtime. This occasionally blocks content while browsing that it considers could contain risks. I occasionally carry out a manual scan with MBAM but since it is monitoring realtime, I'd probably know anyway about a threat as soon as it tried to do execute. A manual scan never detects anything but it still gets done, just in case.

Layer 3 is Norton DNS. Changing to a DNS server that filters out risky sites seems a good measure since nothing needs installing and it doesn't take any resources at all. All that needs doing is to change some IP numbers in the network setttings.

Layer 4 is Norton Internet Security. This will hopefully play its part in blocking malware but a more important function is to detect if the combination of layers have failed and that something nasty has got onto the computer. NIS just sits there quietly and performs automatic idle time scans, so it is never necessary to initiate a scan manually. NIS includes a site safety rating feature that works similarly to WOT.

Layer 5 is Trusteer Rapport. Maybe unnecessary but it doesn't affect the running of the computer, the banks like it, so it stays.

Layer 6 is the hardware firewall in the router.

The above has been in in place for a considerable length of time. No problems encountered and no significant hit on computer performance.