4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

64 bit configuration

I recently bought a 64 bit laptop, and none of my applications work. Is there any way to re-install Windows to be able to run my apps?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Usually there aren't issues with running apps on 64 bit Windows. Can you tell us what apps do not run?

Thanks
    To change from 64 Bit OS to 32 Bit OS you must perform a clean install then reinstall all your apps. I would also be interested in what apps do not work. I have yet to find a 32 Bit app that does not work in my 64 Bit OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PASSWD, a simple password control and tracking program from, I believe, the Lounge. Also, a free-form address book called BCARDS32 from Midstream, sold to FatSoft (I believe). If this were a case of upgrades, I would be very pleased to do so, but I can't download the BCARDS32 from the FatSoft page, and can't find the PASSWD.

Quicken 2009 works, and I have not yet tried Lotus Organizer 5.01.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try right clicking them and change the compatibility mode. It may help.

Thanks
    Is Passwd is to control passwords to web sites and such? If so I use LastPass very effectively for this and much more. Other use Keepass or the paid Roboform.

There are many address book apps available if this particular app is not. A Google search reveals many, both free and paid.

For any older apps that absolutely do not work and you absolutely cannot replace with up to date apps, you can load an XP virtual machine within your Win 7 OS to run these older apps. How To Geek describes how to set this up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using the LastPass in a trial on another machine, and am pleased. Let's say that I can live with that.

On the address book, I have gotten accustomed to the free form format. It is actually a small data base that lets me enter any information - names, nicknames, addreses, occupations, wife's name, pet's breed - anything anywhere on the form. Then I can search for anything in the file.

I have done a simple Access program, but it is clunky and difficult to use. The free form format is amazing, but I can't find anything similar.

Thanks
    The free version of LastPass is just fine. The only reason to go with the paid version is to use it on you smart phone. I did that and have not found any advantage to it. Perhaps I am not as smart as the phone and don't know how to set it up. But for your PC only, stick with the free version. It is full featured and will serve you well. it also has add ons foe FF and Chrome that are free.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted