New Lounger
    Thanks

W7 error 0x80070005 unable to create folder

I have been a LangaList/Windows Secrets subscriber since Fred's earliest days and this is my first post.

Gateway NV53 laptop with 200 GB free space, AMD and W7-64 HomePrem. I have been plagued with this 0x80070005 error for over a year. It started when I attempted to install Security Essentials and continued with Service Pack 1 and a couple of other Windows Update offerings which repeated every few days. I may have caused the problem when I was messing with some file protections while trying to configure a net workgroup with XP and Vista machines at initial setup. I worked with MS Support for four months trying many things -- many hours with no joy. My computer got more and more buggy.

Finally, last week I tried Fred Langa's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall. While Windows was running, I did an administrator run of setup.exe from a new factory DVD of W7-64 HomePrem. That bombed early on while the message "Setup is copying temporary files..." was displayed with error "Windows was unable to create a required installation folder: error code 0x80070005." Some searching on Microsoft Support sites took me to this link which seemed to be the holy grail, dealing specifically with my problem:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...8-e2c5ed88d183

Thomas_77

The error 0x80070005 occurs if the upgrade has no permission to write certain folder. Try the following steps:

Reset permission
    ============
    1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads
    2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.
    4. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
    @Echo =========================
    @Echo Finished.
    @Echo =========================
    @pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" for the file name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the save location.
    7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."

The script ran in about 30 minutes and looked as if administrators and system would get full privileges to the world.

We did not.

The upgrade in place run bombed as it had done before all this. I tried several times with no luck.

Is it ownership? Can anyone tell me how to reset that?

I am at a total loss. Reformat looms soon.

Woodstx
    Last edited by WoodsTX; 2012-03-12 at 01:43. Reason: Saved Post was full of HTML tags -- removed

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodsTX View Post

The error 0x80070005 occurs if the upgrade has no permission to write certain folder. Try the following steps:
    Thomas,
    Hello... What is the "certain folder", is it always the same one ? Whenever i have problems with not being able to access a "folder" To Install a program... the solution is always the same ... "Taking Ownership".... Sometime doing it manually (properties route) and at others, just a "Right Click"... "Take Ownership" context menu will work. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

WoodsTX (2012-03-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Thomas,
    Hello... What is the "certain folder", is it always the same one ? Whenever i have problems with not being able to access a "folder" To Install a program... the solution is always the same ... "Taking Ownership".... Sometime doing it manually (properties route) and at others, just a "Right Click"... "Take Ownership" context menu will work. Regards Fred
    Hi Fred,
    Thanks for the reply. Thomas_77 is a Microsoft guru on social.technet. I don't know which folder (s) are blocking the W7 install because the script runs in the blind. Surely there is an event log following the procedure but I don't know what or where to look for it. There may also be a command line for the Microsoft subinacl tool to reset ownership and I'll also search in that direction.
    Best, Woods