Thread: Boo/Whistler

Thanks

Boo/Whistler

My AV keeps telling me that this Boo/Whistler is present in my system but I can't seem to find it. I have gone on line to see if there is a simple solution to correct this problem, but ran into one confusing remedy after another. Please reply.
    Catz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Catz,

Have you tried any other scanners? If not here are two free ones which do a good job.
    Malwarebytes Free
    Windows Defender Offline Beta
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliez View Post
    My AV keeps telling me that this Boo/Whistler is present in my system but I can't seem to find it. I have gone on line to see if there is a simple solution to correct this problem, but ran into one confusing remedy after another. Please reply.

pauliez,
    Hello...another Free tool emsisoft emergency kit 1.0 Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    That Malwarebytes took out some Security dll's that I needed to replace.
    Still have this Boo/whistler popping up when I open some programs. It seems like it is in the boot when I start my PC. Is there a way to check the boot up sector and see if it there? I have spy bot S&D a spyblaster and they have not found it.
    Catz

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Still have this Boo/whistler popping up when I open some programs. It seems like it is in the boot when I start my PC. Is there a way to check the boot up sector and see if it there?
    pauliez,
    Hello... If the "emsisoft emergency kit free" doesn't find anything the only other one that has a "Boot time Scan" that i know of is Norton Internet security 2012 (pay for). With it you can burn a boot disk that will run and check before Windows load's up...And also can be set to perform a "Boot time scan" that auto runs whenever you turn on your PC. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    A post on the Bleeping Computer Virus Forums had this fix for the Boo/Whistler malware:
    Problem was fixed by rewriting the master boot record as described in this url

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/x...overy_console/

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    pauliez,
    Hello... If the "emsisoft emergency kit free" doesn't find anything the only other one that has a "Boot time Scan" that i know of is Norton Internet security 2012 (pay for). With it you can burn a boot disk that will run and check before Windows load's up...And also can be set to perform a "Boot time scan" that auto runs whenever you turn on your PC. Regards Fred
    I had a gut feeling about Emsisoft FREE. I let it run and it took 12 hours to complete a scan on my PC and when it was over there was no listing of Boo/whistler but a statement asking for $40 to remove the 6 Trojans it claimed it found. Never said a word about any money in the beginning. I could have saved a lot of time by just reformatting the drive. You see I have three HD's in this PC. One is used for storage, the other two are used for the same OS. One is connected and the other is not connected to anything in the PC. It just sits there collecting dust until it is needed. When one is hit with a virus such as this, and all efforts tried do not remove the virus, then all I need to do is switch HD's and reformat the contaminated one. What I have found out in the past is that viruses contaminate the OS so that it seems like everything is gone bad when in reality it is just the OS. Free means buyer beware.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a gut feeling about Emsisoft FREE. I let it run and it took 12 hours to complete a scan on my PC and when it was over there was no listing of Boo/whistler but a statement asking for $40 to remove the 6 Trojans it claimed it found. Never said a word about any money in the beginning.
    pauliez,
    Hello.... Did you download their Emergency Kit or their software trial ? You have to configure it to save the Information ...see screeshots... I have used this many times and never asked me to upgrade or Pay $$ Think you downloaded the wrong one.. Regards Fred

PS: heres the Link
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    pauliez,
    Hello.... Did you download their Emergency Kit or their software trial ? You have to configure it to save the Information ...see screeshots... I have used this many times and never asked me to upgrade or Pay $$ Think you downloaded the wrong one.. Regards Fred

PS: heres the Link
    I did what they asked and still did not find anything close to Boo/Whistler. The problem is fixed. Like I said I have a back up HD that is a duplicate to the master which is not connected. Need only hook it up and then reformat the contaminated HD. When that's done I just use WD life Guard to dupe the cleaned HD. What puzzles me is how this virus got past my AV. Am very careful where I go and what I open up.
    Catz

Thanks
    That Malwarebytes took out some Security dll's that I needed to replace.
    Still have this Boo/whistler popping up when I open some programs. It seems like it is in the boot when I start my PC. Is there a way to check the boot up sector and see if it there? I have spy bot S&D a spyblaster and they have not found it.
    Friend, You're using the wrong software. Spybot Search & Destroy is a Spyware remover, not a virus or Trojan remover and Spyware Blaster Never scans or removes anything. It's just a Blocker, to block certain things from coming in through your browsers.

Malware Bytes, AVG FREE, AVAST FREE, are all good find and remove anti-malware programs.
    So you need to be using the right programs for the job you want done.

The most efficient way to clean a HD like yours, is to take it out of its PC and slave it off of another desktop PC, where you can run Anti- Malware software against it, without anything on the HD having a chance to run and fight against the Anti-Malware software.

I use this technique often to clean up a customer's infected hard drive. You can also run CHKDSK /R /F on the drive while you're there.
    That repairs a lot of HD's that won't even boot.

Good Luck!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!