Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry IE9 is intermittently "forgetting" my log ins

I hope this is the right place for this, since it pertains (I think) to cookies and such. I am running IE9 on Windows 7 SP1, but on average of once a day (not always) it "forgets" my Internet passwords/logins and I have to log back in again. Sometimes a couple of times in a day, sometimes it will go two days, but in the last several weeks it has never gone longer. I never have any trouble logging back in, so it is more annoying that a real problem, but I should not have to be doing that.

Thinking my cookies got corrupted, I have deleted them all twice now, and both times it resolved the issue BRIEFLY but within a day or so it was right back to the old aggrevation. I don't know what else to try, so I am hoping some of the resident experts here might have an idea (other than to clean out my cookies AGAIN). If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most happy to hear from you. I thank you in advance.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Any cleaner program like CCleaner being used?

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I am not using anything new. Nothing new introduced since this problem began a month or so ago. :-(

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is your system crashing?

Are you terminating IE using Task Manager or any other tool?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no idea whether or not my system is crashing, but I do not terminate IE or anything else other than the way it is supposed to be.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am assuming the unusually few replies on this indicates that the experts are as puzzled about this as I am, but I sure hope that is not the case. Isn't there a security or other optional setting somewhere (within IE9 maybe) for me to opt for it to "remember logins" or passwords or something of the like? I have searched for it in order to see if it got changed somehow (something similar happened to me during an upgrade once), but I cannot find it to check it now. This is not a major issue so far as computer problems go, at least not so long as I can log back in so easily, but it has gotten quite annoying because the two primary culprits online (Ancestry.com and Facebook) are the two sites that I use the most and on virtually a daily basis.

I anyone has any ideas out there, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could check that First-party Cookies are not blocked at Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Advanced.

And that Delete browsing history on exit is not checked at Tools, Internet Options, General, Browsing history.

But if they disappear intermittently, it rather sounds as though some other cleanup program is wiping them out.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-03-20 at 12:11.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    You could check that First-party Cookies are not blocked at Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Advanced.

And that Delete browsing history on exit is not checked at Tools, Internet Options, General, Browsing history.

But if they disappear intermittently, it rather sounds as though some other cleanup program is wiping them out.

Bruce
    Bruce, following are my current settings in the dialogue you referred me to, but I've not changed anything for fear of doing it wrong:
    NOT selected - Override automatic cookie handling
    selected - Accept first-party cookies
    selected - Accept third-party cookies
    NOT selected - Always allow session cookies

Please note the first and fourth option are NOT selected, which if I understand this correctly means that none of them are effectively enabled since the first one is not. I am far from an expert at this but I do know a little, and it would appear to me that all four of them should be enabled if I am to allow passwords and logins to be set and remembered on my local machine. I fully realize this is not the best security, but I am the only one to use this desktop at home and I would like it set to remember my Internet logins without having to log in so often.

As for other software, the only thing I can think of new in the last several months are the two following new installations:
    1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Just as the name implies, it helps to keep malware at bay, but I've not found it to bother anything else.
    2. Simple AdBlock - Again, as the name implies, it blocks most of the ads on the Internet, but likewise I've not been aware of it doing anything else.

I thank you for your reply. If you have any suggestions with this I'd appreciate hearing from you further, but it appears to me that given the above settings I am simply not enabling cookies to set logins and passwords. No idea how it would have gotten this way, since this issue did not exist prior to a month ago, but I had something similar happen some months ago and as best I can determine my optional setting got altered during an auto-upgrade, and resetting my options at the time eliminated the problem.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You don't need to override automatic cookie handling under the advanced options there, if you're using Default on the Privacy Settings dialog box; it just seemed worth checking.

If you want IE itself to store logins and passwords, then you can check Use AutoComplete for User names and passwords at Internet Options, Content, AutoComplete Settings.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, following your directions above, I find the "passwords" option already selected and enabled, so it appears I am still at "square 1." Something has to be awry if I keep losing recognization of the password, and thus access to websites, but I sure wish I knew what it was that is causing this.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is really getting frustrating, mainly because I can't figure out what is causing it, and now judging from the lack of what are usually solid replies here I must assume that "the experts" are puzzled too. On the possibility that it could be some "cleaner" software doing it, that narrows the choices down to three that I can think of off the top of my head:
    1. McAfee Total Protection - Purpose is obvious, but is not new at all as I've used it for years.
    2. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (paid version) - As the name implies, it runs in the background searching for malware.
    3. Simple Adblock - Technically not a seperate software, it installs as an add-in to my IE9, and to my knowledge it ONLY does an excellent job of blocking most ads on the Internet.

Just this morning I have entirely disabled (not removed) Malwarebytes, primarily to see if that makes any difference with the issue, but not enough time has gone by to make a reasonable judgement on any results. If this eliminates the issue, then I will reenable the software and disable selected features in an attempt to narrow it down, but I don't know what else to try. I tend to think it is not McAfee, simply because I have been using it for so long without issue, and nothing has changed in it other than the usual periodic updates. I likewise tend to think it is not Simple Adblocker, simply because I fail to see how it could cause such an issue, but I must admit that I've been wrong about such a thing before and will try disabling Adblocker next if I can rule out Malwarebytes.

If anyone out there can offer any further thoughts or suggestions on this issue, I'd welcome hearing from you. In observing this thing for so long, I think I've observed a couple of things that may or may not mean something:

1. I think I have noticed that it only seems to occur when logging into Ancestry.com and Facebook that I have noticed, but I hope I am right on that and am not misinforming you.
    2. My logins are set to memorize my username AND password, but the password is what it "forgets" and must be reentered at log in, but it appears to remember the username if set to do so.

I am now cousciously looking for logins other than Ancestry and Facebook and will let you know if I can verify one, but right now I think that is it but those are the two online sites that I seem to use the most. Very frustrating, it's not a major issue (so far as computer issues go), not so long as I can log back in so easily, but I should not have to log back in manually so often.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Dave, some HTTPS SECURE sites will not allow you to save your password.
    On my banking site I always have to re-enter my password every time I log on.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I'm having similar issues with HTTPS sites like Newegg, as an example.
    Some site also just don't play right with IE, like this one.

Exposing the Password Secrets of Internet Explorer

Maybe a password manager would be your best solution.
    Example:
    IE AutoLogin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    Dave, some HTTPS SECURE sites will not allow you to save your password.
    On my banking site I always have to re-enter my password every time I log on.
    I understand what you are saying, but that is not a factor here because I've used both of these online pages for years and THEY DO allow for memorizing passwords and logins if the option is set to do so. Further, I just realized that one of them (Ancestry.com) seems to have stopped doing it now, but I am still monitoring it to make sure. This leaves only Facebook as a problem if it continues along the current path.

I have rapidly eliminated interference from installed software by disabling them one at a time, but in no case did doing so make even a minimal difference in this issue. Now, with it down to only Facebook with the problem I have got to wonder if it was ever a Windows problem in the first place. . . .and thus appropriate to ask here at all. :-( Last night I wrote to Facebook and reported difficulty in logging in (and staying logged in) so maybe that will accomplish something. Personally, I would be surprised if they did anything at all, but I can hope.

That is where I stand at this moment. Not a huge problem so far as computer issues go, but it appears now to be evolving from a "Windows issue" to a "Facebook issue" if I understand what is going on. I am now waiting for a response or resolution from them, but based on past experience I may die of old age before that happens. <sigh> If you or anyone else reading this has any other ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Well Dave, my bank used to allow saving the password but they just stopped one day and never gave me any notice...

You may find it easier and faster to ask other face-book users you know to see if they have the same problem...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast