Star Lounger
    Thanks

Style behaviour within a Table (Word 2010)

I have finally made the transition to Word 2010 and am slowly getting over the exasperation caused by trying to locate the commands I need.

I have just added a table to a document that was created in Word 2003 and has now been converted to Word 2010. I have a style called Table Paragraph that seems to behave differently depending on whether it is used inside the table or outside it. The style is a paragraph style that is Based on the Normal style, which uses a font of Palatino Linotype 11pt. If I look at the properties of the Table Paragraph style, they show as Palatino Linotype 11pt. When I use this style within my new table, it insists that the default font size is 10pt, but when I tried it outside the table the font size defaulted to 11pt.

Why should the font size be different for a single style when used either inside or outside a table? Is there some table property that I'm missing?

Thanks in anticipation.

Anne

Edit: I have just noticed that the actual font is different as well. Inside the table it defaults to Times New Roman, but outside the table it defaults to Palatino Linotype.
    Last edited by AuthorAnne; 2012-03-13 at 09:10.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to bet that it's a conflict between your style and the default "Table Style" in your documents. I've had similar issues since back in Word XP. As a document would get longer and more complex, Word would typically start insisting on applying the "Table Grid" table style, overwriting the styles we'd applied to the tables. Unfortunately I never found a permanent fix.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Go the the document defaults (Styles pane > Manage Styles button > Set defaults tab) and change settings there to what you have set in the normal paragraph style.
    Please let us know if this worked. If it does not there could be other issues.

In general, to avoid table problems (& others), make normal and the defaults the same in all documents.

Pam

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The defaults were already set to Palatino Linotype 11pt, so there is nothing to change. The fact that the style behaves differently inside and outside a table must mean that it is something to do with the table. Is there somewhere to set the default font for the Table Grid style? (I haven't knowingly used table styles before, so this is all new territory for me.)

Anne

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I've just consulted my Word 2010 Bible and found out how to modify table styles. There is indeed a default font setting for the Table Grid style. Now that I've changed the font there, the font within the table is correct. But why should the table style take precedence over the paragraph style used within the table cells? That just seems totally wrong!

Thanks for your help folks. Got there in the end.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm glad you got things working.

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorAnne View Post
    There is indeed a default font setting for the Table Grid style. Now that I've changed the font there, the font within the table is correct. But why should the table style take precedence over the paragraph style used within the table cells? That just seems totally wrong!
    Here are some articles that may help:

Behind the Curtain: Styles, Doc Defaults, Style Sets, and Themes

Behind the Curtain: Styles’ Order of Operations

The gist of them concerning style behavior is that conflicts between settings the normal paragraph style and the document defaults (as shown in Manage styles > Set defaults) can cause formatting inconsistencies. BTW, if the font in your Table Grid style was not already showing Palatino Linotype 11pt, then Palatino Linotype 11pt was not the default font.

HTH,
    Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2012-03-14 at 13:46.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Pam,

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately the first one didn't work, but I've had a quick look at the second, and will study it in more detail when I have the time. I will also check out Themes in my Word 2010 Bible, as I haven't investigated those yet.

You said that if the font in the Table Grid style was not already showing Palatino Linotype 11pt then that was not the default font. When I followed the instructions in your previous post it was certainly showing as the default font. Maybe it's something to do with the document and/or the template being converted from Word 2003. Or maybe the default font for the Table Grid style was fixed before the document default was changed. It will be interesting to see what happens when I want to create a table with a smaller font size in the cells.

Anne

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Pam,

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately the first one didn't work, but I've had a quick look at the second, and will study it in more detail when I have the time. I will also check out Themes in my Word 2010 Bible, as I haven't investigated those yet.
    It's working now, Ann. Thanks for letting me know.

You said that if the font in the Table Grid style was not already showing Palatino Linotype 11pt then that was not the default font. When I followed the instructions in your previous post it was certainly showing as the default font. Maybe it's something to do with the document and/or the template being converted from Word 2003. Or maybe the default font for the Table Grid style was fixed before the document default was changed. It will be interesting to see what happens when I want to create a table with a smaller font size in the cells.
    Anne
    I keep warning myself not to assume (in this case, that the table style had not been changed), but I did it again. I now think Table Grid must have been changed previously too. You shouldn't have trouble changing the font size in the tables. If you do, you now know where to look to fix it.

Pam