New Lounger
    Thanks

Chess King Will Not Work on (Some) Lenovo Laptops

I recently purchased a very interesting chess training and analysis program called Chess King. It runs great on my Dell desktop system (Windows 7 Home Premium), but hangs before it has fully initialized on my Lenovo E420 laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium). In talking to the Chess King people, we learn that out of their 500+ installations, there are only three cases of failure to run, and they are all on Lenovo laptops.

When the program starts up, it comes to the place where it begins putting graphics on the screen. First, it places some sort of graphical background on the screen. Then, before it displays all of the fancy graphics, it freezes, and must be closed using Task Manager.

I have tried running it in various compatability modes, but the problem persists. Same in Safe mode. Chess King thinks that Lenovo uses its own special version of Windows 7, but at least one customer rep that I talked to said they use one out of the box. Chess King programmers say they are working on fixing the problem, but my guess is that it's not their highest priority. In the meantime, I am looking for some way to work on fixing this problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Depends on a few differnt things really.Such as,how much memory you have.Video card,how much memory it has etc.The size of your cpu.On the laptop.In comparison to your Dell.Needless to say alot of variables.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

hdrsnr (2012-03-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your comments.
    My Dell is pretty hefty: 8GB RAM, Intel i7 2.8GHz CPU, Nvidia graphics adaptor, 4095 MB graphics memory, 512MB Dedicated Video Memory.
    My Lenovo has 4GB RAM, Intel i5 2.3GHz CPU, Intel HD Graphics Family adaptor with 1696MB graphics memory, 64MB Dedicated Video Memory.
    Perhaps the limitation is with the Graphics Card, although I do not know that this program is graphics intensive. Given your experience and this additional information, do you have further insights?

Thanks
    Long shot, but you might look into the lenovo's power configuration settings and also ensure the laptop is plugged in when using it for this specific application. Lenovo also has it's own security, at least the business class laptop that I have does, chck to see that it is not causing a conflict.
    You can also start going through the event viewer logs to see what comes up in terms of related errors as well.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-03-16 at 10:41.