3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eudora won't start

I see that it's many months since anyone posted on this forum, so I am posting this more in hope than expectation. I have a major problem with Eudora 7.1 and am hoping that some knowledgeable person will see i.his. I am using Win 7, but Eudora has worked without a hitch since I installed it a month ago. Yesterday I was using it normally, I made a new mailbox and got a warning:

C:\User....\AppData\Local\Temp\eud14E7.tmp already exists.

I clicked on OK, it went away. The mailbox was created, Eudora worked normally, so I forgot about it. Today I started Eudora, got the same warning about a tmp file already existing, but Eudora didn't start. I found the tmp file, same location as before, but a different file name, deleted it, and tried again. No good, I took another look and found another tmp file had been created.

Was I worried? No, I had a backup of data and program files made just a couple of days ago. Used the restore function, that seemed to work. Made no difference. I decided to re-install Eudora, but I didn't want to over-write all the mailboxes. I decided to use Explorer to copy the .mbx and .toc files to a safe place. Until a month ago I was using XP, I decided where everything would be stored, and I knew where to look and could find it easily. But I was told that with Win 7 it was all different, "It uses libraries, it takes care of everything..." I believe was the expression. "All you have to do is type the name, or a few words of text and Win 7 will find it in an instant." So when I installed Eudora I had accepted all the default locations, didn't pay much heed to where they were, Win 7 would take care of that stuff. I searched for .mbx. Nothing. I tried .toc. Nothing. I tried a few words from an e-mail I sent yesterday. Nothing.

So what gives with the fantastic Search wizard? This is a quote from Windows 7, the missing manual, as recommended by Windows Secrets no less:

"In the first 15 to 30 minutes after you install Windows 7—or in the minutes after you attach a new hard
    drive—it invisibly collects information about everything on your hard drive.

I looked at the Index settings. IE History, Off-line files, and the Start Menu were the only things being indexed. I'd sure hate to lose my IE History, at least the Indexing service hadn't been slowing up the computer since I never use IE. Not single document, image, or e-mail. The more I see of Win 7 the better I hate it!

I have run the Indexing now, it hasn't found any .mbx or .toc files, nor files containing quoted text. I've never seen anything like this in 20 years of using Eudora. Does anyone know what could have erased all the data?

Any help much appreciated.

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I got Eudora back, but there's a mystery to it.

It came down un-installing. Did that, and re-installed. Same result. I rooted around and found half a dozen files left over after the un-install so I tried to delete them. No way. Searched on-line and found out about the "hidden Administrator account." Started cmd, "run as administrator." Then entered "net user administrator /active:yes" How did they dream up that lot!?! It was easier in DOS 3.0! But even then I couldn't just Shift+Del to get rid of them. That was denied, had to just Delete, and confirm, and confirm, and confirm. What are those guys in Redmond smoking? Or maybe it's gasses leaking out of Mt. Rainier, it's not all that far away.

So, finally, I re-installed, and this time I specified where the data was going to be. And this you will not believe... Eudora started, and ALL the original mailboxes were there, including the one I created two days ago when the problem started, and the e-mails I'd sent too. Where on earth could they have come from? "Go figger!" as they say.

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2012-03-15 at 19:25.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I hope you get some responses as I also have used Eudora for the better part of 20 years without a problem. Then this morning Eudora will not open. I have removed Eudora and then re installed...no change. I have installed an older version...no change. Eudora is part of my life....surely there must be some bright spark who knows what the problem is?