Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Linda

If your sure that it's failing, move all the files somewhere else, then do this.

rr.JPG
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred. I do appreciate your patience and the fact that you continue to try and explain things that must be so obvious to you to those of us (i.e., me!) who just can't seem to follow! I'll keep trying and will post back outcomes.

Many thanks, oh patient one!!

Linda

P.S. Oops, just saw Roderunner's post (hadn't checked Page 2). Will do that as well and post results.
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-03-19 at 16:31. Reason: Added P.S.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Thanks, Fred. I do appreciate your patience and the fact that you continue to try and explain things that must be so obvious to you to those of us (i.e., me!) who just can't seem to follow! I'll keep trying and will post back outcomes.
    Linda ,
    Nothing special.... It's just that i can relate of how overwhelming PC's and related "Blah, Blah can be ... it wasn't so long ago that i was a "Newbie" trying to catch up ... Just trying to help those who were "in my shoes" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update on Sentinel and External Drive

And those of us now in those shoes are highly appreciative!

Update: things get weirder and weirder! This morning, when I booted up, the external drive was picked up by Sentinel! It turns out it's on K and not F. I took a screen shot of what it found (attached). Glad I did because, when I tried to find out more about its low health rating, the drive was mysteriously unavailable again and its little green temperature box in the system tray was gone!

Anyway, I would appreciate input on what the findings say about this drive and if it's safe to use going forward. I haven't pursued the other posters solutions yet because of what happened this morning but will if still advisable.

Puzzled but persistent,

Linda
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: things get weirder and weirder! This morning, when I booted up, the external drive was picked up by Sentinel! It turns out it's on K and not F. I took a screen shot of what it found (attached). Glad I did because, when I tried to find out more about its low health rating, the drive was mysteriously unavailable again and its little green temperature box in the system tray was gone!
    Linda,
    Hello...See my post #15 and Using "Windows" look in "Disk Management" when these "Wonky" things are happening... Also look in "Computer" and see what is showing up "K:" or "F:" ? and does it go away ...Only there when booting (from a cold PC) Could be a "Temp" problem with the drive ..or something is loose .... The "External" should not just "Vanish" Seems that there might be more than one problem... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred. Will do. I've been trying to attend to this in the midst of a lot of other things and realize I need to set aside a block of time and work through all the suggestions mentioned to get to the root of this ... and find out if I can rely on this external drive. Will do so between now and the end of the week and post back actions/results.

Question: Does the "40%" on the Health meter for the external drive mean anything? Certainly the internal drive was not that low! (97%).

Appreciate all the patient help and guidance!

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda,
    As you have an "Unregistered Version" seems that you can't "see" the same screens as in my Screen Shot... Click on the "?" and scroll down for an explanation of how they come up with the "Health Scores"...etc.. I'm guessing that your 40% means that your HD has some "Problems" As a score of 100% means Perfect Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, thanks Fred. Health meter at 40% identified as "Acceptable". The ? beside Health did provide lots of information, most of it a tad over my head! Screen did include this note in a yellow box below the meters:

Problems occurred during the spin up of the disk 526 times. This can be caused by the disk itself or huge power load (weak power supply).
    At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further. It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

It is recommended to backup often to prevent data loss.

The Performance meter said Excellent.

My understanding from all this is that the disk is healthy for the moment, but has fewer hours remaining on it than it once had. We should likely not rely solely on it for critical updates (i.e., images) but should have another backup in place as well.

Do you think I've interpreted things correctly?

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    We should likely not rely solely on it for critical updates (i.e., images) but should have another backup in place as well.

Do you think I've interpreted things correctly?
    Hi Linda,
    Yes... you have ... The HdSentinel program identifies problems ( some possible future) The full program ( pay for Pro) will keep you apprised of any further developments, with real time warnings.. One question have you figured out why the external seems to at times disappear ..and the reappear on it's own?

As far as keeping Images... I'm "totally out of control"... I backup all OS's at the very least weekly, and have three externals that i keep Images on ...Besides the two Data HD's that are installed in my PC ... Like i said a bit over the top.(suffers from OCD)... This is mostly not that my Data is so important ...It's just that i am always "Messing" with them....(how i learn what not to do)...I think that a good strategy is (many will have their own) to back up your entire PC at least weekly and store the Images separately both "On" (2nd internal HD) and "Off" the PC some other place... In-case of fire, or theft, or HD crash...yeah... it happens. Gotta go back to work. tractor calling. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Answers and Question

Got it and I may yet go for the paid program - even though it is very technical and I can understand only some of what it's telling me! I like the fact that it is a constant drive health monitor, especially when all our business data are on this computer (files backed up in the cloud with Mozy, which I like). Image backups, I have to be honest about, are new to me as of this PC and the Lounge's advice. I have been remiss in doing them on a regular basis. That's the main reason I've been trying to determine if this external drive is safe for them.

As for your question about the drive appearing and disappearing: no, haven't solved that. It did that again today: was on when I got the new stats; then, the temp disappeared from the tray and I got a "device driver not found" Windows error. For some reason, no matter which USB port I plug it into, this happens. Just unplugged it (heard a disconnect-sounding noise) and replugged it - green temp is back and it's on list of drives. Just added a screenshot of the message, which has been popping up frequently since I posted this.

What next re. that issue do you think?

Linda

PS Are temps of 34 and 35 degrees Celsius okay?
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-03-21 at 17:44. Reason: Added screenshot of error message

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

As for your question about the drive appearing and disappearing: no, haven't solved that. It did that again today:
    What next re. that issue do you think?

PS Are temps of 34 and 35 degrees Celsius okay?
    Linda,
    Hello... The "Temps" are fine around mid \ upper 90°F's.. Sounds like your external has a problem...Could be just a bad USB cable. would try and swap it out with another for an easy first try. Next would be something loose inside...and would open it up and have a look see. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it. Will check out functionality of USB drives by trying some other hardward in them. It does continue to happen. This morning both drives showed up on boot; then, external disappeared and attached message popped up!

Will post back what I discover re. the 2 USB drives themselves.

Thanks again - and for reassurance re. temps.

Linda

P.S. I've backed up an image on DVDs to be safe while we work through these challenges!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: both PC USB drives work fine for other devices checked on them. Can't check the cord itself since it is unique to the external drive, but I don't really think that is the issue. After all we've done here, it seems the drive, even though barely a year old, is not reliable enough to use for important backups (i.e., images). For now, I think I'll back up on thumb drives and/or DVDs until I can spring for another external drive.

Also, I will go back through all the suggestions in this thread between now and the end of the weekend and ensure I've tried everything suggested. After that, a final post with results.

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another Error Message

Another piece of information. The drive showed up on boot this morning so I tried an image backup. Attached is the message that came up (yet another one to create concern!).

Any thoughts on what this means?

Linda

P.S. Am also working through a troubleshooter re. when device is not found in Windows 7.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought, but are you using windows 'Safe to Remove Hardware' icon in the system tray when you unplug the drive.

Failing to do so can introduce peculiar problems that are hard to trace back.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast