Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's an interesting point ... hadn't been conscious of that icon, but will from now on. Right now, the same things are happening: drive appeared on boot; is now not showing although I've touched nothing.
    - while it was showing, tried again to do image backup
    - windows saw drive but said it was corrupt and that Check Disk might help
    - tried to get Check Disk to check the disk several times; checked both boxes and Start - dialog box disappeared and nothing happened each time

Trying not to be frustrated! DVD backup is proving challenging as well (not sure it "took"). Now trying to decide if I just give up on this drive and move to either a new drive (pricey) or a thumb drive.

Or should I keep troubleshooting?

In puzzlement,

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Finally tried your program. Unfortunately, can't get Windows to recognize the device, no matter which USB port I use (front or rear). The Windows message says to try and reconnect again and, if that fails, replace the device! I'm beginning to think that is my only option, although I am going through the rest of this thread now to see if I've missed anything!

Thanks for the link: the program looks easy to use and is free!

Linda

P.S. Will also follow your suggestion re. Check Disk after I've moved the key image backups onto a more reliable piece of hardware!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-04-02 at 15:55. Reason: Added P.S.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So Now for the Big Question: What Backup Media to Get?

As those of you who have been helping me will know, I've done everything suggested (or at least as much as I could given the foibles of this drive!) and have decided to replace it.

What is my best option:
    • new external hard drive?
    • if so, what size would you suggest if it's to be used primarily for image backups (current is 500 KB; I was considering going up to 1 TB)
    • several thumb drives?
    • DVDs?

Thanks for your suggestions - and for all your help through this rather frustrating hard drive odyssey!

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    What is my best option:
    • new external hard drive?
    Hi Linda,
    I would go for a 1TB to 2 TB External "Plain Jane HD" ( no imbedded software or programs) and use a "Docking station " The choice as to which brand and why ...It's your choice .. I personally have used "Hitachi DeskStar's 7K 1000C's"Hitachi $130 > $190 Now ( have 6) with no problems , going back to 2007. Directron or NewEgg are reputable vendors.. Just my 2¢... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-02 at 19:07.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I'd been looking at Seagate drives, but unsure about them: the current one I have is a Maxtor which has been bought by Seagate. Are the ones you suggested available in retail stores or should I go on-line to find them? Oops - just realized searching drives on-line that you've answered this question - found NewEgg!

I'm unfamiliar with docking stations. I do have a UPS to which the hard drive is connected. Do I need a docking station as well for this desktop?

My thinking is to purchase a new external drive; then, reformat this one, run Check Disk and the other disk health checks and see if it can be put back into service. The ongoing puzzle with it has been that the disk health programs keep saying it's okay (when they can locate the blasted thing!), but Windows says it's corrupted or can't be recognized. After trying all Loungers' suggestions - especially yours, JPFred - I've decided not to get any more frustrated and to start fresh ... the only problem with this is that it really irritates me that I can't get this figured out!!!

Again, many thanks.

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-04-03 at 16:24. Reason: Realized Fred had answered where to buy question. question

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm unfamiliar with docking stations. I do have a UPS to which the hard drive is connected. Do I need a docking station as well for this desktop?
    Linda,
    Hello... Docking stations are connected to you PC via USB ( Universal Serial Bus) connector take a look see Docking Stations I have no experience with them as i use another method....Need another "Lounger" to help fill in the "blanks " here....If not just search "Docking stations" and find one you like ,that will work with your choice of HD's Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Does this screenshot suggest an answer to the drive issue? + reply

Thanks for the info on docking stations. I'd Googled them and had the impression they were needed only for laptops which is why I was asking. Will wait to see if other Loungers have some input, as you suggested, Fred.

Re. the good old hard drive issue, I took a screenshot of what Roderunner's HDDScan program found when I ran a S.M.A.R.T. scan on it today - when it was actually showing up. Wondered if those 2 yellow items suggested what might be causing my issues with this drive (having trouble letting this go, I know!!). Attached it in case it suggests anything.

Thanks for any input, as always.

Linda

HDDDScan S..M.A.R.T..JPG

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info on docking stations. I'd Googled them and had the impression they were needed only for laptops which is why I was asking.
    Linda,
    Docking stations are used for those who either don't have any room (or choose not to get involved inside the PC case) for a 2nd internal HD . Also many use "Externals " because it's a safer option ...Having your Data away from your PC ....Think of it as a do it yourself "Cloud". You can put the HD in a different location.... As far as what your screen shot means.....this is why i use HdSentinel... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now I understand docking stations! Thank you. Yes, I figured you wouldn't get much out of this particular screen shot, but Sentinel is equally confusing since it tells me all is well aside from being only 40% "healthy".

Do you think my strategy (i.e., be safe, buy new drive, do backups; reformat current drive) is a sound one, given all we've done in this thread?

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I figured you wouldn't get much out of this particular screen shot, but Sentinel is equally confusing since it tells me all is well aside from being only 40% "healthy".

Do you think my strategy (i.e., be safe, buy new drive, do backups; reformat current drive) is a sound one, given all we've done in this thread?
    Linda,
    HdSentinel Pro "Trial" Is not a fully functional program ...it just allows you to tell if it can work with your hardware... Your backup paradigm is fine as long as you realize that the "Plain Jane" Hard Drive is not really meant to be continually be swapped around (has exposed components that you should be aware of ) So as long as you treat it "gently"( don't walk across a carpet and touch the exposed components) it will be fine...I store mine in "Bubble Wrap \ Static proof bag " and in a small cardboard box after any operation "Cloning", "Imaging", or updating my data. Regards Fred

PS: I would "Play " with the old drive ...but wouldn't trust it.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-05 at 15:48.
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I may have driven you crazy with all my posts here, but I have sure learned a lot! Many, many thanks for your patience, Fred, and for all other responders' input.

Thanks for the heads up re. Plain Jane hard drives and the care you need to take with them. Also noted your reminder that I'm not getting full functionality from Sentinel Pro until I upgrade to the full version.

A follow up "dumb" question: does care warning apply to external drives that look to be enclosed in a black box that stand up beside your computer?

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

A follow up question: does care warning apply to external drives that look to be enclosed in a black box that stand up beside your computer?
    Linda,
    No ...The problem comes from the fact that the "Plain Jane" HD's are made to install into a PC.. ( not be plugged and un-plugged ) and they have sensitive exposed circuitry ... Just make certain that the "Black Box" HD does not have some kind of pre-installed software and is a 3.5 Inch ( as opposed to 2.5" laptop type) 3.5 being faster (RPM wise)... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha. That explains the photo I saw when I Googled your Hitachi drive - it looked "exposed". Think I'm going to go with an enclosed drive. The ones I've seen (office retail stores) all seem to have software bundled with them (the current one did, too). Do I delete it or can I find them without the software? Thanks for the heads up re. 3.5.

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda,
    There are several threads about "Loungers" who bought a HD with some kind of "Bundled " software horror stories .... Do yourself a favor and if the HD has anything on it from some software vendor RUN!. The "Plain Jane" is fine...as long as your aware of the potential problems... It's still the best option in my opinion. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A strong message reinforced with visuals! Yes, I have read some of the horror stories - part of why I asked.

I usually purchase computer hardware at my local office supply retail chain store. If they don't carry software-free drives, is my next option to go on-line to one of the vendors you recommended earlier?

Really, patient JPFred, this should be my last question!

Linda

P.S. Really like that running smiley!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast