Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    This color coding is generally on both the PC USB plug and the device and cables. My granddaughters new PC had 1 each USB 2 port (had black plastic tabs) and 2 each USB 3 ports (blue plastic tab) This seems to be a standard although I have heard not all manufacturers use this color coding as standard.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. Think I'm all set - new Seagate in its box on my desk ready to go. Did some research re. backup programs on the forum and found this thread: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...hlight=acronis

Reading through it caused me a bit of panic, despite all the learning I did. Should I be doing a lot more reading and researching about how to backup before tackling the image backups on the new drive? Or do I just follow instructions in whichever program I go with (think it's either Macrium Free or Acronis)?

Does Windows backup have a place here if I'm using one of the above programs?

I just want to be sure I do this right after working on the hardware segment for so long!! Will hold off on any actions beyond deleting the pre-installed software until I hear back - just in case.

Again, many thanks,

Linda

Thanks
    Do you have Acronis TIH? If so make the Boot media first (actually I would do this for all Imaging apps) Acronis will fit on a CD. Boot to the CD, and choose to load Acronis when you get the option to load Acronis or Windows.

I always clean my PC completely of ALL temp files, etc. then defrag prior to creating an Image.

Once Acronis loads fully, choose Backup, then you will choose which partition to Image, then choose where to place the Image (your new USB HD). You will then tell it to start or proceed (I don't remember the exact wording, sorry) It will create the Image then tell you it is complete.

Now comes the scary part (At least the first time). You should test the Image by rebooting to the Boot disk and choose Restore, then go through the steps an actually restore. This does 2 things, it shows the Image was created and will work to restore, and during thr restore it formats the Partition so it does a great job of completely defraging the partition by formating the restoring the Image.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-23 at 15:19.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great instructions, Ted. Thanks for taking so much time to put them together. Haven't yet got Acronis - had been trying to decide between it and Macrium.

I follow all you say. Can I use a DVD-R for the boot? That seems to be all I have. If not, I'll get what I need first.

The scary part as you said is this: You should test the Image by rebooting to the Boot disk and choose Restore, then go through the steps an actually restore.

Does that mean I will be reformatting my C: drive with the image? Yikes! What if I mess up the backup, won't it mess up my current C drive, on which my business life reposes?

I have never backed up from a boot disk before nor have I tested the images I did make. It makes sense that one knows the backup is valid, but it's beginning to seem too technical for me to do! Or is it just new and understandable once I try it.

Sorry to be such a nervous Nelly!

Linda

Thanks
    You can use a DVD-R, it's just a waste of space as you will only use a small part of it.

That is why I said it's the scary part! You will not know if your Image works until you try it. The first time is very scary. That's why if you follow the instructions you should be fine.

Quite some time ago, during the old Lounge format, I created step by step instructions for Acronis. mercyh also did the same for Macrium Reflect. Since these were done in the old Lounge the screen shots all are at the end of the post instead of where they should be. You should be able to decipher them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. It will be scary, that's for sure. I'm going to go at this very slowly and start on a day I can devote as much time as needed. Thanks for both sets of instructions. Will post back progress - or any further questions. Hope there will be none of the latter. I feel guilty about taking up so much of your - and other Loungers' time - on one item! Sure appreciate - immensely - all the support and guidance!

It may be a couple of days, but I'll get it done and post back.

Thanks again,

Linda

Thanks
    Linda, I am glad to help. Imaging seems intimidating at first, but after the first time you will wonder what took you so long. It is such easy insurance. Any of the excellent apps mentioned in these forums will do the job for you. Either Acronis or Macrium Reflect are excellent choices. So are EaseUS ToDo V4 and Ghost and ImgBurn, and most likely several others. Each of us have our favorites. Good luck to you and happy Imaging.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting discussion - I have been using for a long time Storagecraft's Shadowprotect Desktop and server products.
    While it isn't free (there is a 30 day trial) it has many great features - being able to Quick mount the backup (and it's incrementals) as a read only drive to a) verify the backup and b) copy individual files with out a total restore.
    Tubetech

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    And those of us now in those shoes are highly appreciative!

Update: things get weirder and weirder! This morning, when I booted up, the external drive was picked up by Sentinel! It turns out it's on K and not F. I took a screen shot of what it found (attached). Glad I did because, when I tried to find out more about its low health rating, the drive was mysteriously unavailable again and its little green temperature box in the system tray was gone!

Anyway, I would appreciate input on what the findings say about this drive and if it's safe to use going forward. I haven't pursued the other posters solutions yet because of what happened this morning but will if still advisable.

Puzzled but persistent,

Linda
    I find it strange that on the right of the image in post #19, under Volume it shows
    Active YES

The "Active" flag needs to be set if the BIOS needs to be able to boot into an operating system on that partition.
    It is not appropriate for a partition that holds backup files.

I have recently been told that Windows can be unhappy if it sees another "Active" partition,
    and just to be doubly sure I have now cancelled an unwanted "Active" flag on my old system partition.

Regards
    Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks

hd software

Im new to this discussion so please accept my apologies if I error.

All these hd health programs dont seem give to give any vital info about the hardware. Ive had hd failures about every 2 years, tried many recovery methods all which are useless including swapping platers. What I want to know is before failure : head condition, thickness, arm action, disc speed and runout, Not just surface condition or bad sectors, and expected hours of time left before its dead or about to croak. Are ssd's the answer? Maybe... Even when the drives are under warranty its bull, what junk are they selling us.
    I now use Acronis with a clone drive hoping at the next failure I be up and running same day. But for the hd health software forum, $27 or however cheap I feel its completely useless as far as the critical information you need to keep it alive.

Geoff

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this will muddy the water, but it's worth bearing in mind... I had a problem with an external hard drive, sometimes it was recognized, other times not. When it was recognized I couldn't find any problems, and it worked for days, several utilities reported the disk as healthy. Finally I took the drive out of the enclosure, hitched it up as a bare drive with a gizmo I borrowed

See: http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Adapter-C...drive+conector

The drive worked perfectly, and continues to do so in a new enclosure. Total cost less than $20.It's worth bearing in mnd, the drive may be woking fine.

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda,

Have you tried substituting a known-good USB cable?

Regards,

Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try using a docking station that allows you to connect via Esata or USB which if connected via esata would not need the decoder chip as would connect in the native sata mode of hdd. You would need to remove the HDD from the caddy as no need for it as will plug direct into docking station.
    Amazon Have many to choose from
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bad Power Supply

This applies to an 3.5 inch HD in an external enclosure. A 2.5 inch HD designed for notebook computers will run on power supplied by the USB cable. The 3.5 HD will require an external power supply that will have a cable that will plug into the external drive case. It requires a power supply that is able to supply 5 volt and 12 volt power.

I had the same problem. Sometimes the external HD would show up but most of the time it wouldn't. I took the 3.5 HD drive out of the external case and put it in a docking station and it worked perfect.

I then noticed by the sound that the external HD was having spin up problems. When it spun up properly, the HD worked. As soon as spin problems occurred the computer lost the HD. The Green LED on the power supply was dimming and then getting brighter and then dimmer.

The Power Supply that came with the external HD was bad. It was not very old, almost new. A google search revealed many problems with this power Supply. Being an Electronic Tech, I used a moto-tool to cut open the plastic case and discovered a burned out resistor and shorted diode. Not being able to tell the value of the resister, charcoaled, nor part # of the diode, I orderd a new power supply and the external usb HD worked perfect. Problem solved. Under full load the power supply voltages decreased to a lower level that would not operate the HD.

Again note this problem occurs with an 3.5 HD which will require an external for power.

Hope this helps.

Swabeefp

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is not a direct answer to the question but maybe worth considering. I have external hard drives that work perfectly with some USB cables, but intermittently with most of them. In contrast, my GPS will work with a USB cable from the Dollar Store, but every other USB device I have acts as if that cable didn't exist. It is worth-while to keep one expensive USB cable around to try whenever an external drive is intermittent.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast