Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Thanks
    Yea! . Yes, test each Image the same way. If you find one that does not work, just fall back to the last one and catch up. Obviously your data should be backed up separately.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Love your post - thanks! Pretty well sums up how I feel. It is great to know that a little CD holds security for my PC system. And yes, I do back up data, in the cloud pretty much. Still have more to learn about backing up, but feel so great to have this long-put-off hurdle overcome.

Linda

Thanks
    After reading your post about your positive results, I was spurred to create another Image because I had just installed a couple new apps. Normally I make at least monthly Images (right after patch Tuesday), but I often do create an Image when I change my system with new additions or deletions, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Nice job

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - very much - to both of you and this Lounge ... again!

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Hoping for a little more hand holding ...

Not sure any of you are still checking this thread but thought I'd post on it first ... a few questions I hope you don't mind answering.

1. Just created second image. In re-reading earlier posts, saw that you recommend I do that scary test again to ensure new image works. Is that necessary? (I'm hoping you say "don't worry this time!!).
    2. If so, I use my boot CD, open Macrium from it and (gulp) select "Restore" to test the new image. Is that correct?
    3. Now I need to image the laptop. Do I have to create a new boot CD for it first?

Thanks again. I'll try to do these image backups more often so I establish a routine and know the steps more instinctively.

Linda

P.S. Finally read welcome email from Macrium and noticed link to a KB article on how to image - duh! Thought it could help others: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-11-28 at 14:53. Reason: Added link in P.S.

Thanks
    No
    Once you've established that you can effectively restore an image via your created bootable disk, one time is good. (desktop)
    If your Macrium boot disk works on your laptop, then no need to make another.
    Verify the image by doing a restore, if you have not already done so on the laptop. Remember to include any hidden partitions.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-28 at 14:41.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your super fast reply, Clint - and for more helpful information. Will be sure to do the scary restore after I create the laptop image!

One clarification:
    Remember to include any hidden partitions.
    Is there something I need to do to ensure I have included them? Sorry, but I know little about partitions, except that you can partition disks. I never have, however!

Again, many thanks!

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Do I have to create a new boot CD for it first?
    Linda
    IreneLinda,
    Hello... Macrium recomends that you create a new "Boot Disk" if you update to newer versions ... They release them every so often...Don't know if your running the "pay for" or "free version"... However if you did "Update" then Burn a new CD, and test it to be sure that it will boot your system ( Keep the old one ...just in case)...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops, somehow in the Christmas prep chaos, I lost your post, JP Fred! Sorry. I have the free Macrium currently. Will create the new CD if I upgrade as you suggested. Still haven't got around to getting this all done for the laptop, but will keep these posts handy when I do ... and report back with success or follow up questions!

Thanks for your input!

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been a while, but ... Went to backup PC just now and Macrium offered a download to a new version.

2 Questions (topic 1):

1. Do I download it?
    2. If I do, is this the time I make a new boot CD as J P Fred suggested in #129?

1 Question Topic 2: hard disk health

In Hard Disk Sentinel (still free version) my C drive has now been registering 48% "health" with 38 bad sectors and "excellent" performance since December 12, 2012. Does this suggest it may NOT be failing after all, just picking up some bad sectors? I still plan to install the new drive (which I have bought) - I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-01-14 at 11:43. Reason: Added topic #2

Thanks
    Yes, by all means, you may download the latest version. I know Macrium installs over my current version without issue.
    I have been able to use the same boot disk that I had previously made, but you may want to test it to ensure
    it's continuing viability with the new version, as I have.

When in doubt about any particular hardware monitoring app, get a second, or even a third opinion, by downloading
    one of the many hard drive S.M.A.R.T monitoring tools we've previously mentioned.
    If all these tools (generally) concur with each other, then you may start planning for a new drive.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-14 at 19:19.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay and thanks. I will do some further checking on the current disk and will download Reflect update now.

you may want to test it to ensure it's continuing viability with the new version, as I have.
    To test, do I just boot from the original CD and see what happens?

Linda

Thanks
    Yes, boot from the disk you have made and locate your backups on the external drive.
    If everything checks out you should be good to go.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint!!

Linda

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789