5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's causing these severe, recurrent crashes?

LANGALIST PLUS

What's causing these severe, recurrent crashes?

By Fred Langa

Diagnosis and repair can be difficult when crashes leave behind few clues and a crippled machine.
    But a multi-pronged approach, using easily available and free tools, can usually get you on the path to a solution.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/whats-causing-these-severe-recurrent-crashes/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firefox causing a major system slowdown

Fred,

I think I might know how to fix that FireFox slowdown. I had the same problem on some of my PCs a few months ago.

First install a new addon called "Places Maintenance". Here's its URL:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...s-maintenance/

Once installed, open the Add-on, screen and select its options page. I think you should select the "Expire" option and then click "Execute". If that doesn't fix it, then select the "All" preset and then "Execute".

This cleans up the database that holds FireFox's history and recently used places. It doesn't delete these items. It cleans them...whatever that means. The bottom line is that after running Places Maintenance, FireFox stopped hanging on all of my PCs and I was happy again.

Now if they would stop it from using so much freaking memory. :-)

Peace,
    Randy

Thanks
    When Windows Explorer is slow or flaky, I look into my Firewall Settings if I am using a third-part security application. Aslo, any file System monitoring tool, again usually associated with security Scan on Access. Then I run down Fred's checklist. CoreTemp is a utility which presents core by core information about heat issues in a very readable format.

Firefox Startup delays are usually Toolbars and location aware add-ons. Shutdown delays are usually other Extensions, of which there are many types.Safe Mode will usually demonstrate these two causes of these delays. Firefox's legendary "memory Leaks" are also usually caused by add-ons, but which ones is a very long list of possibilities. Firefox itself in Safe mode does not have any demonstrated "memory leaks".
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-03-16 at 16:51.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred mentions HDDScan as a tool for getting HDD error data. One thing I discovered is that its UI won't run the normal way in Win 7/64, only the process starts. On the suggestion of another user at the HDDScan forum, to get the UI it has to be run in Win XP SP3 (or SP2) compatibility mode (right click the .exe file, choose Properties, and then the Compatibility tab).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Fred mentions HDDScan as a tool for getting HDD error data. One thing I discovered is that its UI won't run the normal way in Win 7/64, only the process starts. On the suggestion of another user at the HDDScan forum, to get the UI it has to be run in Win XP SP3 (or SP2) compatibility mode (right click the .exe file, choose Properties, and then the Compatibility tab).
    Well, at least it runs in Compatibility Mode. Some utilities from the XP era don't.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    With regards to clean up; I agree that aggressive batch files are no longer needed and may actually be dangerous for most users.

A combination of CCleaner, Privacy Mantra, and Windows own, but slightly modified cleanmgr, will get the job done just as well, and
    be far safer.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    Temperature Monitoring

My favorite: HWMonitor