Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Step by step: How to safely test-drive Win8

TOP STORY

Step by step: How to safely test-drive Win8

By Fred Langa

Using safe, free virtual PC software, you can set up and run the Windows 8 Consumer Preview inside your current PC without affecting your other programs or your installed version of Windows.

This method lets you test-drive Windows 8 without having to make potentially risky changes to your current setup. There's no need for dual-booting, special partitions, and so on.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/step-by-step-how-to-safely-test-drive-win8/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent article once again from Fred.
    Wonder why he chose VBOX over VPC?
    Anyway a comment I have is that you can only run a x64 version of Win8 under VBOX on a Host PC that has the virtualization feature on the CPU. The host OS also has to be a x64 version. A lot of Intel Core2 CPU's don't have this feature (all recent, 2008+, AMD's CPU's do!). So even if you are currently running a x64 version of an OS (XP, Vista, Win7, Linux, Solaris etc) that are supported by VBOX), you will get message that you are running on the wrong hardware on a non-virtualization enabled CPU.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred.
    Just one thing: I downloaded VirtualBox 4.1.10, as that was what was immediately offered. But it seems that this version cannot read the downloaded ISO file for Win8-Consumer-Preview, so I could not see how to install Win8. I uninstalled VirtualBox 4.1.10, and installed version 4.1.8, and then it worked.
    Paul Allerton
    Last edited by pablo234; 2012-03-15 at 06:32. Reason: bad spelling!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oracle VirtualBox and networking

I've been using VirtualBox to run Ubuntu on my Win 7 machine and it has worked well for quite a long time. I have two issues with it:
    1. The default install configures a VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter that conflicts with my HP OfficeJet scanner and some Ubuntu networking. You cannot scan from the printer or find all the computers on your network with with the adapter enabled. Solution: Disable the adapter!
    2. A recent update has corrupted something on my system and every time I use VirtualBox, I'm certain to blue screen my computer when Ubuntu is exiting. I haven't taken the time to chase this problem yet...

The VirtualBox Host-Only adapter is the big thing for me -- don't know if anyone else has the same problem or not, but it is a consistent problem for me. Each update of VirtuialBox re-enables the Host-Only adapter and I usually remember to disable it when my scanning stops working.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just like ebax, I could not run virtualization software on my computer. I have an Intel E7200 processor which does not support virtualization http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx and a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mobo which does not have a virtualization switch in the BIOS. I ended up installing a spare 80 Gig drive and setting up Windows 8 which installed with great ease. Sound, LAN and video worked right off the bat. I hate the Metro interface and had a good laugh trying to find the OFF button.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I removed 4.1.10 and installed 4.1.8 but i never get the new wizard (after creating the instance) so i never have a chance to reference the win8 ISO

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same here. The first run wizard is nowhere to be found (tried with both 4.1.10 and 4.1.8). I tried both before and after accessing Settings on the newly created VM.

Talk about anti-climatic.
    Last edited by bruce73; 2012-03-15 at 10:45.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is first time I used VirtualBox. I followed Fred's instructions to a "t" but when I started the virtual machine, instead of the First Run Wizard I got a black screen with an error message saying no bootable media found. Finally figured out that I had to tell the virtual machine where to look for the dvd drive under the Devices menu, then I could install but never saw any sign of the First Run Wizard. VB ver. 4.1.10 on HPZ200 Intel core i5 8Gb.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The "black screen" message is resolved by going to setup/storage/ then click on the "Empty" icon under (in my case) IDE Controller. Then on the right, click on the little round disc. Then select "Choose a virtual CD/DVD disc file". Go to your Windows 8 down load. Now go back and start again. Worked for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dturnidge For This Useful Post:

sorahl (2012-03-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

I wasted some considerable time with this process and at the end, it would not load the win 8 iso. It only told me that there was no version of an operating system on my virtual drive and presented no means to acquire one. I tried several things and gave up. I have uninstalled Vbox and trashed the win8 iso. I'm not real happy.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nor am I. I tried dturnidge's suggestion about loading the virtual disc file and the process started, but it then went to the Recovery Console stating that I don't have a 64-bit processor (I do). I also get an error about audio devices (PCM_in) and an Error ID: Host audio not responding. At first I thought this had to do with not having Win8 installed yet, but perhaps it's something particular with my system. I'm rapidly losing interest. So much for the fool-proof experiment.

Win7/64 (home premium)
    HP p7-1120
    i3-2130
    8GB RAM

EDIT: I looked up the specs on the i3-2130 and found this:

Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) -- Supported
    Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) -- Not supported

Is this my problem?

EDIT2: OK, got it installed (after enabling VT-x in the BIOS).

EDIT3: Had a look, not impressed. Uninstalled 15 min. later. What a waste of a morning.
    Last edited by bruce73; 2012-03-15 at 13:29.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice article, but will these same steps work on a Vista machine?

New Lounger
    Thanks

No CD Rom Driver

I can get Win 8 to load files and go into setup. What happens then is that a screen ups up and tells me I need to load a driver for my CD Rom. I've tried everything and cannot get past that stage. Can someone help? Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed the instructions but noticed the @#@( thing was trying to create its virtual drive in my Dropbox folder! Why it defaults to that I have no idea. Finally deleted the Windows 8 machine and found a setting in the VirtualBox Manager that lets you specify the default location for all its needed files.

Edit: Be prepared for lots of personal info demanded by MS to finish the install...naturally I entered crap.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 2012-03-15 at 14:11.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PvtBigButt View Post
    Just like ebax, I could not run virtualization software on my computer. I have an Intel E7200 processor which does not support virtualization http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx and a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mobo which does not have a virtualization switch in the BIOS. I ended up installing a spare 80 Gig drive and setting up Windows 8 which installed with great ease. Sound, LAN and video worked right off the bat. I hate the Metro interface and had a good laugh trying to find the OFF button.
    There are utilities which actually do turn off Metro and restore the Classic Start Menu.

Given all the hoops folks have had to jump through in the article and in this thread, I don't think a dual-boot is any more difficult. Dual-booting is actually ZERO risk, as the entire partition can be wiped out and the computer is then restored to its original single-boot configuration with ZERO changes to the original OS setup. The only tricky part is shrinking the original single partition to make room for the experimental OS.

Even when Avast 7 beta trashed my Windows 8 Consumer Preview so badly that it could not even be Reset, I was able to boot into Windows 7 Home Premium, run a Windows reformat, and reinstall from the DVD burned from the INSTALLER's Burn to ISO option. The installer is half the size of the direct ISO download, and it is created simply by telling the installer you want to install Win 8 CP on a different partition. In addition to burning the ISO, the installer lets you make a bootable USB stick with the full Win 8 CP installer on it.

Given the ability to use Macrium Reflect V Free to back up a dual-boot at any point in your experiments, and that a full rollback takes 15 to 30 minutes, this is an equally viable, no risk way to go with any new OS experiments. Reset from the DVD is even faster.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-03-15 at 15:28.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast