Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 7 32-bit: Installed update but nothing runs

I've had this problem twice in the past. I select some updates to install. The status reports all updates were successful. I reboot the PC and all looks good. No matter what I select from the desktop I get a message saying that either I don't have privs to access it or it has moved. I close the window and the next window offers to remove it from the system. I have to recover from a full disk image. The second time I had tried a restore but still had the same problem. Tonight I went to install:
    4 Security Updates KB2621440, KB2641653, KB2665364, KB2667402
    3 Updates for Windows 7 KB2639308, KB2640148, KB2660075
    Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7 KB2647518
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2012 KB890830

Before starting the updates I turned off the firewall and anti-virus software.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Security Updates prevents application from working

Hi, I've just installed the same Security patches on my Win 7 64-bit PC & Laptop. The first application I opened afterwards was unusable as the swirly timer never went away, so not allowing any access to its interface. Although the description of your problem is different, the method to rectify this would be the same. which is to uninstall each of the security updates in turn, until the functionallity of the application returns. So uninstall 1 patch, test application, if that doesn't restore service, repeat until service is restored. This way you know exactly which patch affects which of your apps, so when the same patch tries to reinstall, and it will try, you can opt not to install it. In my case, Quintessential Media Player would no longer work & luckily,the first one I uninstalled restored service to this application. In this case it was KB2667402, so this would be as good a starting point as any.

The problem you had in the past where the restore failed to restore service, was probably due the restore point being after the patch was installed, rather than before it.

So go to: Start > Control Panel > Sytem and Security

Then under the heading of 'Windows Update' click on 'View installed updates'.
    Put them in order of 'Installed On' date, then find the first one you want to uninstall, right click on it & Select uninstall.

Good luck.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response Lino. I did not give a complete description of my efforts to use the Restore service. I first selected the restore point that was created just before the updates were applied. When I still had a crippled PC I went to the Restore point a week earlier but still this didn't work.

I don't know if I can uninstall any software when the PC is in this condition. I have not tried to open the Control Panel, but if I double-click on the "My Computer" icon, try to run IE, or any selected applications I get the same errors. I mean nothing runs, nada, zilch.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    What firewall are you running?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Online Armor Premium
    http://www.online-armor.com/
    Last edited by jasander; 2012-03-15 at 12:56.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think OA is the problem there. Have you restarted it?

I don't see the need to turn off OA do handle this. I run OA, I know it can be a bit of a nag to get it to allow all the updating, but I find it best to put it in Learning Mode.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what you're asking when you said, "Have you restarted it?"
    It starts a boot time which is what happens after the software is installed and the PC restarts. If I don't shut OA down during an upgrade, it may stop a process from running, and by the time I get back to the PC it has timed out (I'm assuming) and results in a failed install.
    At one point it was in learning mode, I don't know if it still is. The OA software was upgraded a little while back and may no longer be in Learning mode, I'll check on that tonight. If not, I'll set Learning mode and try the re-installs on Saturday.
    I'll let you know, thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Those messages usually indicate that OA is the problem. I have seen them, usually when OA is not running, or the program guard is not working.
    I did have an issue with an update, where the behavior was similar. I had to do a system restore. I then re-did the install with learning mode on, so do give that a try and see if it helps.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jasander (2012-03-17)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I will do that, thank you, and will let you know.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I set OA to Learning mode, made a restore point and reinstalled those same updates. After the reboot everything worked. Thank you for the help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great, I am glad you solved it .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jasander (2012-03-17)