al_k

Access 2000 not running windows installer on start (2000 SR-1)

I have Access 97 and 2000 SR-1 installed on my Windows 98SE PC.

Recently, the Windows Installer has stopped running when I start Access
    2000. It still works for Word 2000 and Excel 2000. Access 2000 has started
    crashing more often.

I've tried un-installing and re-installing Access 2000 by itself (not all of
    Office 2000), but that didn't help.

Can anyone help me get the Windows Installer running when Access 2000 starts
    up?

Thank you.

Al

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 not running windows installer on start (2000 SR-1)

Sorry, but why would you want the Windows installer to run? In a normal setup where Office 2000 was installed after Access 97, you never see the Windows installer when you launch the apps.
    Charlotte

al_k

Thank you for replying.

By Windows Installer, I'm referring to the feature added to Office 2000 that is supposed repair Office applications between uses.

On my machine, if I run Word 97, then Word 2000, a little box pops ups that says "Windows installer - Please wait while Windows configures your MS Office application." Word 2000 still does this, Access 2000 does not and had become more unstable.

I'd like to get it working again.

Thanks again.

Al

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

All I can tell you is that none of the machines where I run mixed Office 97 and 2000 do this on any of the Office apps. The only time I saw it was when I had Office 97 installed and installed a standalone Access 2000, leaving Access 97 as the default. Once I installed Office 2000 without removing Access 97,so that the 2000 apps were the default, the installer got its head straight and stopped popping up. When you reinstalled Access 2000, did you install it from the Office CD or from a separate Access installation CD?
    Charlotte

al_k

Thanks again for your help.

I installed Access 2000 from the Office 2000 CD.

Al

al_k

I'm using IE 5.5. The knowledge base article number didn't make into your last reply.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I had the same behavior on my personal workstation - I considered it to be a problem because it appeared to have to do with tracking the location of the system.mdw file. I often work with secured databases and everytime I switched to a different security file, then went to Access 97 and came back to 2000 the repair function went in and reset my security file for Access 2K. You can get the same functionality by doing a full repair of your Office 2K from the setup utility in the Control Panel. I'm surprised that Access 2000 has gotten more unstable however. I ran in that mixed environment with both 97 and 2K for nearly two years with no significant stability problems. It sounds like something may have replaced a DLL or an OCX. Hope all this rambling makes some sense and helps.
    Wendell

al_k

I haven't switched .MDW files in a long time, so I don't think that is it.

Some .DLL may have been overwritten -- the problem is finding out which one! <g>

Thanks for your reply.

Al

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by charlotte on 02-Nov-01 20:43.</P>You didn't mention your Windows version of browser, and that may be contributing to the problem. Take a look at this knowledgebase article and see if it sounds familiar: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q235/4/02.asp>OFF2000: Some Features Lost Without Windows Desktop Update [Q235402]</A>

Edited to make link visible--Charlotte
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My keyboard stuck on a ] and the link wasn't visible. It's fixed now.
    Charlotte

al_k

Hi Charlotte-

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away a lot visiting a sick friend.

Windows Desktop Update seems to be installed and working (i.e. Windows installer runs when loading Word 2000, I see each open Office 2000 object appears on the task bar, etc.)

I appreciate your help.

Al