New Lounger
    Thanks

Backwards Quotation Marks

I just encountered an odd problem. Some of my closing quotes are actually opening quotes. Nothing else looks unusual. I have no idea of how to use the find and replace function to fix the errant marks, but I can't afford to leave any in, and 80,000 words means a lot of line by line checking.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A closing quote should be followed by a space, and an opening one should not.
    So you might be able to use Find and Replace to replace an Opening Quote followed by a space with a Closing Quote followed by a space.

To actually get them to appear in the Find and Replace Dialog find a correct Closong Quote and copy it. Then find and incorrect one and select it.
    Then open Find and Replace, and paste the Closing Quote into Replace with box.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Thomas,

You could try a wildcard Find/Replace, where:
    Find = ([>,\?\!.])“
    Replace = \1"
    This will pick up any word, comma, question mark, astersik or period followed by a reversed quotation mark. Alternatively, if you use:
    Find = >“([! \!\?,.^13])
    Replace = "\1
    this will pick up any word followed by a reversed quotation mark, where the next character is not a space, comma, question mark, astersik, period or paragrpah break.

Togther, these should find and replace all of them. If you need both, though, that suggests your document also has some formatting issues regarding the placement of trailing quotation marks vis-a-vis other punctuation.

John,

Re:
    A closing quote should be followed by a space, and an opening one should not.
    Depending on regional convetnions, they might also be followed by other punctuation marks.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In my experience, IF your Word options have smart quotes turned on then a simple search and replace of a single quote with a single quote will reset ALL quotes into smart quotes using Word's normal rules.

If you also do the same for double quotes then that is also resolved.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

You're proably right about Word's ability to replace them correctly via a standard Find/Replace - I can't recall Word ever getting it wrong. The more complicated wildcard version I posted aims to address the consistency of their usage as well.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, folks, for all the input, and sorry to be so late getting back to the thread. It seems I may have inadvertently corrected all the examples manually, but the next time the problem crops up--and I'm sure it will--I'll be armed with fixes.