Thanks

Microsoft wants to move you to Metro Apps

I noticed you can't set Desktop apps as the the default program. Open the default programs applet (Start Screen, type default, click on default Programs) If you click on Set your Default Programs, you will only see Metro Apps listed - no Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Office listed. Tried double clicking on a docx file as a test and it opens a dialog screen asking what program to use. You can then select your Office Program and it will be the default but this is a lot clumsier than the old way. I set Chrome as the default browser in Chrome but IE opens when I click on a link.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    That would probably be because Chrome has not been updated to know anything about Windows 8.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, you are right about Chrome but it doesn't explain why no non Metro apps appear in the default programs list.

Thanks
    This is not unusual of beta applications.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Joe, you are right about Chrome but it doesn't explain why no non Metro apps appear in the default programs list.
    I would suspect that until the installer for the programs is made aware of any Windows 8 conventions that they would not show up.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning. Speaking of apps, I am trying, really, to see what can be done with them. I tried Reader and got to "Documents" but the path is so long to the folder that I can not see where it ends. I would like to path it to C:\Documents. Where/how can I do this in a GUI way ? I am no DOS person ! The folder that Reader takes me to, has nothing in it. All my .docs, rtfs and such are in C:\Documents, I can see them when I get to the Desktop à la Win-7. Thanks. Jean.

Thanks
    I would suspect that until the installer for the programs is made aware of any Windows 8 conventions that they would not show up.
    Existing installers like Microsoft Office 2007 are not going to rewrite their install routines for Windows 8.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, very strange. >>> Existing installers like Microsoft Office 2007 are not going to rewrite their install routines for Windows 8.

I use Office 2k both in W-7 and this W-8 trial. Also used it in XP and vista. Ran to beat the band. Why is Office 2007 not installing ? Very strange indeed. Jean.

Thanks
    Jean, I was answering Joe's statement. The Office apps install and work in Win 8 cp. They just don't appear in the Set Default Programs list. You can still associate default program extensions one at a time, but its a pain compared to previous Windows versions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Existing installers like Microsoft Office 2007 are not going to rewrite their install routines for Windows 8.

Jerry
    It may not be a need to rewrite but only to recompile with Windows 8 install components. It may be more complicaqted too. OTOH, Office 2007 is old enough that Microsoft may not want to go through the effort. After all they will have a new version Office soon too.

Joe

Thanks
    There really should be no reason to recompile. Widows 8 should recognize existing desktop apps in the set defaults applet as it has in previous OS's. I stiil think it's one more step their intention to move us to Metro apps. They obviously want all new apps to use the Metro interface and i think its a loss for the desktop as Windows explorer Metro vs Windows Explorer dsktop shows (Loss of flash support, etc.)

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    There really should be no reason to recompile. Widows 8 should recognize existing desktop apps in the set defaults applet as it has in previous OS's. I stiil think it's one more step their intention to move us to Metro apps. They obviously want all new apps to use the Metro interface and i think its a loss for the desktop as Windows explorer Metro vs Windows Explorer dsktop shows (Loss of flash support, etc.)

Jerry
    While that may be Microsoft's ultimate objective, saying that there should be no reason to compile ignores the possibility that the mechanism for registering programs may have changed completely. Microsoft makes design decisions with every Windows release that causes some subset of software vendors to make changes. BTW, I don't mean recompiling the application on the installer.

Joe

Thanks
    That's possible but this would be a first. I still have hope they will fix this in the release version.

Jerry