Thanks

Win 8 CP download site and key

There have been some reported problems with some of the downloaded Win 8 CP downloads installing correctly.

I have heard of some downloaded file problems. I would attempt a new file download then burn the new iso file to DVD.

Download from this MS Site. (Do not need to supply email if you choose not to)

Product Key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
    is located in text just below the ISO download info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted
    Downloaded win 8 consumer review and burnt to DVD. But goes through all the install stages then ends up with a completely blank black screen. So no use to me. I even downloaded the file again in case the download was corrupt but did same thing again this with a clean install to a separate HDD which win 8 set to dual boot. but only win 7 will boot in the choices.
    If this is a taste of how unstable win 8 is going to be I will stick to tried and tested win 7.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would you happen to be sporting an Nvidia video card? When I first installed it on a dual boot, I had problems restarting after a shut down. I re-installed twice with same results but finally caught a terse message that had the word "video" in it.
    Since updating driver I have had no such re-occurrence. I noted that not long after my problems Windows 8 came out with an Nvidia update.

Thanks
    Sorry Clive. It has been very stable for me. In fact for many it is further along than any other beta OS ever has been. Perhaps Rich has hit on a possibility for you. I have no other suggestions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Would you happen to be sporting an Nvidia video card? When I first installed it on a dual boot, I had problems restarting after a shut down. I re-installed twice with same results but finally caught a terse message that had the word "video" in it.
    Since updating driver I have had no such re-occurrence. I noted that not long after my problems Windows 8 came out with an Nvidia update.
    Thanks for the help Ido have an Nvidia gtx 560 ti card with latest win 7 drivers. But how do I update the Nvidia drivers (there is a driver for win 8 on the site when looked with win7) when I cannot see anything on the screen?.
    Unless it would find the driver during install. if I put it on a memory stick. But I would not know how to do that.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-03-17 at 18:58.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Sorry Clive. It has been very stable for me. In fact for many it is further along than any other beta OS ever has been. Perhaps Rich has hit on a possibility for you. I have no other suggestions.
    Hi Ted.
    Thanks for your input. Did you do a clean install with dual boot or an upgrade.?
    Clive

Thanks
    Definitely clean install. Burn the iso to DVD (I just right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image). Reboot to the DVD and when finally get to that point choose Custom install and choose the second partition. If you have Win 8 DP already installed wipe it out ahead of time and install directly in that partition. Will install there and set the Win 8 MBR. I then used EasyBCD (from within Win 7) to select the OS I wished to be default. The Win 7 MBR, even when you choose to use Win 8 CP as default is quicker booting than using the Win 8 CP boot screen in my system.

I originally did an upgrade install by mistake and had lots of problems. I have always been outspoken against the upgrade installs and this experience just solidified that position to me. Had to do the Custom (Clean) install a few days later. Been using Win 8 CP ever since.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-03-17 at 19:47.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for clarification Ted.
    I have tried clean install on a new partition on my SSD main drive, a clean install on a completely separate hard drive (I even tried not formatting the separate HDD in case win7 formatting method was causing problem , but none of them worked just completed as if going to work then final reboot results in a black screen on all methods.
    If try to reboot a few times eventually get a nice blue screen telling me it cannot start windows but the repair options (which are hard to navigate) just tells me it cannot repair windows either.

The only difference to my win 7 install is I have removed the 100MB reserved partition and put the MBR on "C" drive. I think this may be messing up the dual boot with win 8 as win 8 may be expecting to find the reserve partition. I have no idea how to undo this without reinstalling win 7 all over again. But when it blue screens and lets me choose other OS it boots into win 7 no problem.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-03-18 at 04:32.
    Clive

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I did a clean install, dual-boot, as always. I had been running DP as a vm. Have been damn near 100% w/ Windows8 since 29/2; has been absolutely solid as a rock & flawless to everything & anything I've thrown @ it, thus far. This is the 3rd beta OS I have tested for MS. It is, w/out a doubt, for an initial Beta, extremely impressive & the best offering of a beta of the 3 (OSs).

Drew

Thanks
    I also got rid of my 100 MB reserve partition quite some time ago and have the MBR on my Win 7 (C Drive) but I do not have a SSD drive, just a platter drive. I have had the same experience as Drew. All problems I have experience have been of my own making. I do not think Win 8 CP cares about that. The only time Windows cares about that is if you wish to use bitlocker encryption.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for delay in responding. Have you tried booting into safe mode with networking? Howto:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4924-advanced-boot-options-menu-boot-windows-8-a.html

Thanks
    I do not go to SevenForums or EightForums. The administrators are so short sighted there I was banned early on because I wanted to add a link to the Lounge in my signature and was not allowed. When I disagreed with that they banned me so I said good riddance. There is another forum which I frequent called Windows8Forum. You can also find a lot of good info there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

rmonroe36 (2012-03-18)