Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    See this KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2481490

Try clicking next as it suggests.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry and thanks. I clicked next and was able to continue with the installation of Win 8 CP.However,although I chose the Custom Install, and selected the drive I wanted to install to (which was definitely not my C drive), Win 8 was installed on C.In fact I found that the C drive had been converted to 3 partitions,namely (a)Recovery Partition,(b) EFI System Partition,and (c) the C partition. I thought I had lost all the data I had on Win 7, but found it was still there but had been moved to a different drive.(I had made complete image backups with Macrium Reflect before installing Win 8 CP anyway).I did not have any option at startup to choose whether to boot into Win 7 or 8.

I tried using Win 8 for a while,but didn't like it at all, so will stick with 7 as long as possible.

I tried various things to get back to Win 7, including the Win 7 Repair Disk and Macrium Reflect's Rescue Cd,and formatting C, and using Easeus Partition Master. To be honest,I can't recall all the many steps I took.

I rebooted several times,and on the fourth or fifth reboot, much to my surprise and relief,the option to boot into Win 7 or 8 appeared.(The Win 8 option said "Recovered"). I chose Win 7 and crossed my fingers, and to my surprise and relief when booting completed my Win 7 system was unaltered from what it had been prior to installing the Win 8 CP. Even my desktop icons were in exactly the same place, and every program worked as before.

I cannot trace anything relating to Win 8 on my system now, and yet when I reboot I still get the option to boot into Win 7 or 8. Can anyone explain this, and tell me how to remove the Win 8 option? Advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    EasyBCD to remove the Win 8 entry in the MBR. I cannot explain it, but this should remove it. Your problems must be associated with that new type Bios somehow. I am totally unfamiliar with it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-03-26)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot Ted. EasyBCD did the trick.Now all I would like to know,for future reference, is what do the following terms mean in relation to Hard Disk Partitions, and what are the pros and cons of each of them:

Simple Volume

Basic Volume

Primary

Active

GPT

Dynamic

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    This MS article might answer some of your questions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Belated solution to the Original Query re shrinking C partition:

Belated solution to the Original Query re shrinking C partition:

I know it's an old thread, but (for the record) the simple solution is to turn off system restore and delete all old restore points. That worked for me - you may also need to disable paging file as well (which I think would need a reboot).

The restore points are kept in the middle of the OS drive so need to be removed before you can resize the partition in disk manager.

More info here (see second post)
    http://superuser.com/questions/88131...nmovable-files
    Last edited by t0m; 2012-11-17 at 19:15. Reason: minor clarification

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123