New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Command line execution of windows programs

How do I find the command to use for some of the embedded windows functions? For example, I would like to execute the "Compress File (ZIP)" command that appears on the "Send to" list when the file is right clicked. Where do I look to see the specific command that is executed when that option is selected? Thanks,

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    All those settings are in the registry, but that is a difficult place to navigate.
    I would try a search using your favourite search engine.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Enter HELP at a Command Prompt for the list of available commands. Then follow a command with /HELP (or /h or /?) after a space for detailed help on a particular command.

E.G. compact /h

(I don't know of any cross-reference between GUI actions and command line equivalents.)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-11-18 at 03:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arth View Post
    How do I find the command to use for some of the embedded windows functions?
    The simple answer is "You don't, because most of them don't get exposed at the command line"! Only a limited number of largely ex-DOS command-line features have been continued in Windows, and only a few have been added. I don't suppose Microsoft could see much point in doing the extra work.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.