Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Shrink Volume" problem on C drive

My OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

The size of my C drive is 465GB and I wish to shrink this to 100GB,but when I click shrink volume the maximum I can shrink the drive by is far too low.

If I open Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application, under Defrag the following entry appears: Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Defrag
    Date: 17-Mar-12 4:32:17 PM
    Event ID: 259
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Roy-PC
    Description:
    A volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume Local Disk (C. This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes.

Diagnostic details:
    - The last unmovable file appears to be: \Users\Roy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Tempora ry Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat::$DATA
    - The last cluster of the file is: 0x3da195b
    - Shrink potential target (LCN address): 0x156faba
    - The NTFS file flags are: ----D
    - Shrink phase: <analysis>

To find more details about this file please use the "fsutil volume querycluster \\?\Volume{a07b783d-58d2-11e1-a112-806e6f6e6963} 0x3da195b" command.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Defrag" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">259</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-17T15:32:17.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>7482</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Roy-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>Local Disk (C</Data>
    <Data>\\?\Volume{a07b783d-58d2-11e1-a112-806e6f6e6963}</Data>
    <Data>\Users\Roy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\T emporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat::$DATA</Data>
    <Data>0x3da195b</Data>
    <Data>0x156faba</Data>
    <Data>----D</Data>
    <Data>&lt;analysis&gt;</Data>
    <Binary>00000000C7000000AF000000000000002236796253 72B2B9637B71360E00000000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

What, if anything, can I do to increase the size by which I can shrink my C drive?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could go to IE properties and clear the temporary internet files
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    I would probably recommend a drive defragmentation and then maybe you can shrink the drive more than you are allowed now.

Thanks
    I assume you are using Win 7 disk manager to attempt this shrink volume. After doing what Clive and Rui suggest, I would suggest using a different partitioning app for this purpose like Partition wizard or EaseUS Partition Magic. Either will perform this operation flawlessly and be available for other uses is needed. I have used Partition Wizard and it works very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    My OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

The size of my C drive is 465GB and I wish to shrink this to 100GB,but when I click shrink volume the maximum I can shrink the drive by is far too low.

Advice would be appreciated.
    roy,
    Hello...Sometimes Windows will place some small amount of "MetaData" kinda hanging out there all by itself... Who knows why...So Windows won't let you reduce the size past that point ...You need a 3rd party tool like Ted has suggested or a program that will consolidate free space like my Screen Shot (Prefect Disk) Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

I deleted the temporary internet files and defragmented the drive but still got the same result when I tried to shrink the volume again using Win 7 disk manager, and the same message in the event log.

I am now trying one of the tools suggested by Ted, namely MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.I clicked on Move/Resize Partition, with the C drive selected,and there are arrows to the left and right of the disk size, but when I place the cursor over them it changes to the left and right arrows and does nothing.If I hold the mouse down on the down arrow next to Partition size the size does reduce, but to get it down to 100GB from 465GB will take forever and wear my thumb out! Is there another way to do this that I am missing? Also,the Move\Resize window says "Enter the new partition size and specify the location of the selected partition", but there does not seem to be a place to specify the location.Ted, as you have used this program before I would appreciate your further help.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    Make sure your Image is up to date then go for it.

OK here you go, Open Partition Wizard.

In the Main Windows Click on the Partition you wish to resize (I am not going to actually resize my partition, just show the steps to do so)

PartitionWizardMain.jpg

In my example I clicked on my Data Partition. It will open a second Window showing just the partition you have chosen to resize. Grab the edge of the Window you wish to resize (Grabbing the right side will be quicker as grabbing the left side to resize will cause the app to have to move any data in the partition to the new partition and this takes more time)

MoveResize2.jpg

After you move the edge of the partition to the size you want you will notice the sizes change in the boxes under as well. When you get the size you want (takes seconds) release your mouse.

MoveResize3.jpg

Now notice the Apply button in my first screen shot. If you are satisfied with the selected size click it. That's all there is to it. If any data has to be moved the PC will reboot automatically and the movement will take place out of Windows. Be patient.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-03-18)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted,

Sincere thanks. I followed your instructions, but after I clicked Apply, when the restart occurred I was told BootMgr was missing.This caused a moment of panic as I could not find my Win 7 installation DVD, and my first thought had been to use the Startup Repair option on that DVD. However, my Macrium Reflect Rescue CD came to the rescue and repaired the boot problems, after which when the computer restarted again the MiniTool Partition Wizard completed its operations.I was then able to label the unallocated space created by MiniTool as Local Disk Z-logical disk, and now have 365GB free space on it.

All's well that ends well.

Best regards, Roy

Thanks
    Yes, I have also had an occasional momentary panic. These are usually easy to resolve. I did take the time a long time ago, even though I have my original installation disks for 3 separate PCs for Win 7, to make a Win 7 System Repair Disk as well. It fits on a CD. You can find it in the Win 7 Backup and Restore app. I just popped the CD in, booted and the system told me it found a problem and fixed it without me having to touch or do anything else except remove the CD and reboot and enjoy my new second partition. Glad Partition Wizard worked for you.

I have used this excellent app to move OSs, resize OSs etc. many times. It has never let me down. That is until I forget a step, then I have to restore with my Image and start over. That is not the apps fault, but my OLD BRAIN's fault.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted,my old (older?) brain thinks like yours. The first thing I did after getting the system back to normal was to create a system repair disk. I already had one for Win 7 32 bit but not for my current 64 bit version.

Regarding the message I got about BootMgr being missing, could that have been because when the MiniTool Partition Wizard was running and I was asked to choose the drive on which the operating system was installed (or words to that effect) I chose the C drive, rather than the system reserved partition? Advice on this point would be appreciated, for future reference, and thanks again for your help.

Regards, Roy

Thanks
    Who knows, I do not. Sometimes these things surprise me. I got rid of my System reserved partition a long time ago. My MBR now resides on my C Drive with Win 7. As long as you have it working, I guess it's a moot point anyway. Glad it's working. Have fun with Win 8 CP (I think you said this was what you were going to do with the newly created partition) I am using it full time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again Ted, I now have 3 partitions of what was my original C drive, namely unallocated space 101MB (this was originally the system reserved partition), the C drive 100GB (used 79%) and the new partition I created (365.7GB Used 0%) to use with Win 8 CP or whatever I choose. Can I merge the unallocated space with the C drive or the new 365.7GB partition, and if so how? I can't find a way to do this with the MiniTool Partition Wizard, which I am not yet fully familiar with. Also the 365.7GB partition is shown as a logical drive. Is that OK?

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    Roy,

You might want to give this thread a read.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You should be able recover the unallocated space. open Partition Wizard, click on the C Partition, Click resize and drag the left side as far as it will go to the left. When you choose apply the PC should reboot and Partition Wizard will move the C Drive forward into the 101 MB unallocated space. You very well might have to use that Win 7 Repair Disk to reset your MBR again.

As always MAKE AN IMAGE before starting the move.

RG, I did not have any of the problems you had when I reworked my granddaughter's new PC. I simply did the very stuff Roy is doing now. I deleted the Dell Recovery Partition and used Partition Wizard to move the C Drive forward to occupy that space. In her case I did not remove the 100 MB System Reserved partition because I do not know if she might want to use Bitlocker later on, so I left it, but the recovery partition (Which normally exists in front of the C Drive) is gone and the C Drive was successfully moved by Partition Wizard with no fuss and no muss.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-03-18 at 17:36.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-03-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted,and thanks again. I resized the C partition as you suggested by clicking on it,then clicking resize and dragging the left side as far as it would go to the left.I clicked apply and rebooted, and did not have to reset the MBR this time. However, there was still 8MB of unallocated space in front of the C partition. I asked MiniTool's support service about this and they said it was due to the small amount of unallocated space, and that I should try shrinking the C partition by say 500MB, leaving the 500MB as unallocated space in front of C, and then increasing the size of C to incorporate the unallocated space. I went through all the steps to do this, but it was back to square one, as after the final reboot I still had the 8MB of unallocated space.I realise 8MB is not worth worrying about, but as part of my learning curve decided to try the EaseUS Partition Master program. With that program I created a new partition for the unallocated space, and was then able to merge that partition with the C partition.

I consider both the EaseUS and MiniTool programs to be excellent, and MiniTool's support is excellent, especially considering the program is free. You get no tech support with the free EaseUS Home Edition, but the Help details are good. One advantage of the EaseUS program is that you can merge partitions with it. You can't do so with the free version of the MiniTool program, but you can with the paid version which I believe is only $12.

I have one final question. 2 of my hard drives are shown as active, the other 4 primary partitions are not. Should I change their status to active, and what difference would this make?

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast