Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Start Tiles (APPs) in Desktop Window!!

Here is a quick, easy way to have ALL APPS in a Desktop window; no flipping screens from Desktop. List s ALL APPS, even if not being displayed on Start.

Result is a Desktop icon, tagged explorer.exe
    I changed the name to APPs (As you like)
    Rt Clk > Properties > Change Icon (I pick image of windows on a screen)
    Icon can be left on Desktop, Pinned to Taskbar, added to Quick Launch.

Here is something, if you would prefer to work from your desktop without going back into the Metro tiles @ Start.

Right-click on desktop and select new , then shortcut

Enter or paste this into the "Type location.. etc." :

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

Call it whatever you fancy (APPS or ....?)

When you click the shortcut, you will have a window with all your Start Metro icons - Just click and launch whatever from there. It's really an "All Programs" list. Along w/ Nav tree, of course. Becomes Pinned as or in (same ) place of Libraries Folded on Taskbar. Thus stays @ view one prefers.

Screenshot (2).png

Capture5.JPG

Enjoy!!

Cheers,
    Drew

NB: Credit to Dave for this one.

|
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-05-23 at 22:52.

Thanks
    I had found this one a while ago and discarded it previously. The problem I had with this is that the apps did not seem to be in a logical order for me. Plus they always came back in large icons even if I changed it to small icons or details or alphabetized then. The next time I opened the list they were arranged the way Windows wanted them once again. I found this somewhat less than helpful.

If there were a way to keep them ordered the way I set them up after I opened them the first time and arranged them the way I wanted them arranged, this would be more helpful to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I noticed that, too, Ted. Can't figure why doesn't hold mods; use as is or reset each time. 1 'workaround' is Open, select style, sort by and then, minimize... Maybe somebody has a (better) solution.

Thanks
    I know, but just minimizing just gnaws away at me, especially when most of what this gives me is stuff I will never use. I put shortcuts to oft used apps directly into my Shortcuts toolbar on the Taskbar. If I decide there is another app I need to add, takes about 10 seconds to do so. The only thing I do not get is availability to those less than finished Metro apps that I do not really care about anyway. Perhaps by the time they are ready for prime time there will be another way found to get to them other than through the ugly Metro UI. That is really one of the biggest things against the Metro UI. It is downright ugly to behold.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ted
    From your comments I gather you change the UI to the windows desktop similar to win 7. That suits you but I find that makes it pointless having win 8. Although this is only my surmise as not been able to install win 8 as yet due to some error in my computer. (likely to be lack of 100mb reserve partition).
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I don't think it pointless to make Win 8 run the way you want it to. That way you get the best of Windows 7 and Windows 8 (increased speed, better task manager, etc.) No reason to lt Microsoft dictate the way you use the OS.

Jerry

Thanks
    As Jerry states, I change to the Desktop view simply because I like it's appearance better. If you have looked at the pics of the Metro you have to know what I'm talking about. It is downright ugly IMHO. I like to look at something appealing to the eye, and that is definitely not Metro. Plus most of the Metro apps do not really work properly yet. I do get Win 8 to work the way I want it to work. I do not miss the Start Orb or old Start Menu at all. I did not use most of the apps that showed up on the Start Menu anyway. Even with Win 7 I set up a Shortcuts Toolbar and pinned it to my Taskbar, the same as I have done to Win 8 CP. Ditto with Links. The only difference is the Office Toolbar and Favorites Toolbar I added. I used the Shutdown and Restart icons on my desktop in Win 7 as well so nothing new there either. I do like the zippier interface. I do like the better task manager. The Boot and Shutdown are faster for me. As I have stated earlier, Win 8 CP seems to talk to my other PCs on my network better. I have not found anything to dislike, except of course for the Metro IE. I will stick with the Desktop IE. The Metro IE does not allow add ons and that is not acceptable to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ted, this one really has little or nothing to do w/ "Metro Apps" per se. It indeed is truly giving an "All Programs" list. & can be viewed (& used) as a Desktop window; ergo can go to anything, as if viewing 'All Programs', whilst (staying 100%) on Desktop.

It's offering much more an All Programs list, than any alternate, additional 'Metro APP' access. It shows more than, just what reflect s the Start tiles showing (on Start).

Drew

Thanks
    I just wish it would remember the view I wish it to show when I open it again. I want it to be alphabetical with small icons, Not large icons by category or whatever Windows decides to open it to.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ted, that's the point... the way I saying does allow for just that. Put the icon on the Taskbar, open it from there... select the View & Sort you want, minimize it... now, that will be Pinned & open, staying as set/wanted, like Libraries did, only now, Tree in Left Pane & 'All Programs' in the Right Pane. Look @ my picture. Really, it's just what you're describing & desiring. Instead of it opening as Libraries did showing Tree & Drives...it's Tree & 'All Programs' & the 'look' holds. Seriously, try it

And, once it's like above the original APPs icon (1st) put on the Taskbar can (now) be Unpinned.

Drew

Thanks
    I must be doing something wrong because the only time it stays is when I have it minimized. As soon as I close it and try to reopen or unpin it, I loose the customization. Yes if it's just minimized and I maximize it (reopen it) then yes it does show the way I left it, but if I actually close the app, whether it's pinned to the taskbar or not, it reverts to the default.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, I know... don't close, just minimise & Pinned. I'm missing the need or reason to close it, once it's established. Personally, I'm going to treat it as a constant thing.... Now I really don't need Start (nor miss old start menu to All Programs, if I ever did, anyway but, still...) much, @ all, 'cept for maybe searching which, I can do less now w/ this, too.

And by using Jump List @ the Apps, it stays (undisturbed) while you can (still) go to Libraries or Explorer or... via the/its Jump List.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-03-18 at 21:38.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    For all those getting their knickers in a knot over the Win8 Start screen... do you realize w/ THIS (See OP) on the Taskbar, visits to Start are reduced by a little over 99.9999999%

Cheers,
    Drew

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I just added another photo to the OP. You can see this avails fingertip, immediate access to ALL applications on the Taskbar (it's the folder @ the left of Outlook). It's Jumplist, also, gives a way to Libraries (what the Pinned folder is by default), Pictures or...). This eliminates need to go back n forth to Start or visit Start... you can further see it offers you ALL Apps not, just the Tiles YOU have showing on Start.

This enhances convenience, steps & time greatly.

Cheers,
    Drew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Man this is just ugly. Interesting, but ugly. Windows 3.1 Program Groups gone amuck. If it displayed in alphabetical order right off, I think it would have some merit. Anything I need occasionally that I don't have on the start is easy enough to get to via right clicking anywhere on the Start page and selecting all apps (which also displays alphabetically!). Search is also very effective.
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast