Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying text and styles between documents (Word 2010)

How do you copy both text and attached styles between documents in Word 2010?

The scenario is that I have two documents based on the same template. (I reattached the template to both documents, set each document to update styles automatically from the template, then deselected the automatic style update option.) If I now try to copy selected chunks of text between the two documents, and select to keep the source document formatting, the pasted text retains the formatting from the source document, but not the styles. In the receiving document the styles for the pasted text are all a variation on the Normal style.

Should I have chosen a different paste option, or is there some Cut and Paste setting that I need to change to retain the styles when I paste text between documents?

Please help before I start tearing out my hair!

Anne

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have finally found the solution to this problem.

When pasting the text into the receiving document, I have to select the option to keep source formatting (which is what I was already doing). I then have to click on the little popup that appears at the end of the pasted text and select the option to keep destination styles. Lo and behold - the text now has the correct formatting and the correct styles.

I would much prefer this to be a one-step paste process without the annoying popup, but at least it is now giving me the correct result.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In the cut, copy, and paste settings, the default after pasting between documents when styles definitions conflict is Use destination styles. That might be the setting you want.

Pam

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Pam, but I already had that default setting.

It seems that the problem only occurs with the right-click paste option. If I use the Paste from Clipboard button, or use Ctrl/V, then the styles are retained. If I right-click on the mouse and select the icon to retain source formatting, I have to go through the additional step of clicking on the popup that appears at the end of the pasted text and selecting the icon to keep destination styles. As right-clicking is my usual method of doing copy and paste, I will either have to live with the two-part paste process or remember to use the Paste button instead.

Anne