3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What is it with current browsers and memory usage?

I mainly use Chrome and the longer it stays open the more memory it uses. I can remember when Opera was the other browser trying to see how many pages I could open before my computer became unresponsive versus IE. I had 50 pages open versus 6 for IE and the computer was working OK. I realize, I think, that all the added crap to "enhance" our on-line experience has much to do with this. But I'll have to do the three finger salute to close Chrome and will still have 3 instances of it running in Task Manager that I have to kill manually.

mart44
    I don't have any instances of Chrome running in Task Manager when it is closed down. If that is happening on your computer, it seems there's cause to look for. I don't know what set-up you have but there is this checkbox setting in 'Options > Under the Bonnet':

'Background Apps [ ] Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed.'

This is ticked by default I believe so you could un-tick it to see if it makes a difference to closing down.

I take is as normal now that that browsers are going to use a fair bit of memory. Depending on how many extensions are installed and tabs open, Chrome is no exception. I can see this might be a problem if you don't have the memory to spare. How much RAM do you have?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    4GB running XP SP3. Thanks I unchecked the back ground apps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It hasn't made a difference.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you stop them in task manager then restart chrome after the change?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.