John Shore

Global Search and Text Boxes (Word 2000)

I use Word 2000 to create theatre tickets, 8 to a page. I use text boxes to get the layout I want. I would like to use "search and replace" to change details such as day and date. I cannot find a way of making the "search and replace" work inside all the text boxes on all the tickets. Is it possible?
    John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Global Search and Text Boxes (Word 2000)

Search and Replace is not working properly when you do use text boxes. Most times the search stays stucked in one of the text boxes and refuses to jump to the next.
    Only solution I know is to write a short macro and step from shape to shape.
    However is there a reason why you are using textboxes instead of table cells? With table cells you can normally produce the same results as with textboxes, but the behaviour of tables is much user friendlier than the one of text boxes.

Greetings

John Shore

Thanks, hedgehog. If tables give me enough flexibility in layout that would solve the problem. I would have used MS Publisher, but I wanted to include sequential numbering and Publisher 2000 doesn't seem to support this.
    John

Thanks

That's because Word thinks that things in textboxes are irrelevant (or on Mars). Can you use frames instead? (Try right-clicking on a textbox and converting to a frame - in a copy of your doc.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Could someone please explain what a frame is?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Melissa,

A frame is kind of a cousin to a textbox. The most important difference is that a textbox is in the drawing layer - i.e. it's "floating" and not part of the text layer. A frame by contrast is in the text layer aka "inline".

For a much better and more detailed explanation, see the Word Help topic "The difference between a text box and a frame".

Gary