4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In-line graphic displaced vertically by paragraph's "before" spacing

Here's a real weirdie. The application is Word 2010. The OS is Windows 7.

A certain paragraph has the Normal style, which specifies single spacing, 9 points before, 0 points after. Page breaks cause the paragraph to begin at the top of a page.

The second line of the paragraph contains a graphic with about the same dimensions as a text character. On the screen and in print, the graphic appears to be raised far above the baseline. (It is clipped so that only its bottom edge is visible.)

If I lower the "character" 9 points, it appears to be aligned correctly (but there is an extra 9 points of white space below the line that contains it).

If I delete text so that the graphic appears in the first line of the paragraph, it displays correctly.

If I add or delete text so that the paragraph no longer starts at the top of a page, it displays correctly.

If I add the "Page break before" property to the paragraph, it displays correctly, but appears to start 9 points lower on the page.

If I add text so that the graphic appears in the third or a later line in the paragraph, it displays incorrectly.

Does anyone know a way to make this graphic display correctly without tieing the text into a pretzel?

I'm attaching a simplified and "sanitized" version of the file. Look at the second line of the first paragraph on the second page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yep, that is odd.

It appears to be related to the paragraph spacing offset when the paragraph appears at the top of the page. If you set that particular paragraph to have no 'spacing before' then the problem is removed.

I thought that going into the layout options (down the bottom of the Advanced Options area) and changing the setting for "Suppress extra line spacing at top of page" would have an effect but it doesn't. Similarly, "Dont add extra space for raised/lowered characters" isn't helpful.

The only thing that worked for me was to remove the paragraph space above. If you rejig the paragraph spacing of all styles so they all rely on space after instead of space before then this might solve this particular oddity.

Another possibility is to add a tiny paragraph above this one with the settings of "Keep with Next". If that paragraph had a very small line height and no space above or below then it might be innocuous enough to work.
    Last edited by Andrew Lockton; 2012-03-21 at 21:57.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately none of the suggestions so far are attractive...

The document is likely to undergo massive revisions for quite a while after initial publication, so a solution that involves doing something special to a paragraph that falls at the top of a page is going to "break" repeatedly.

Going to "space after" looks like the best solution so far, but it causes a variety of other spacing problems that led me to swear off it years ago.