New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade to Windows7

Currently an XP Professional user and as it is clear I need to format hard drive thought it was time to bite the bullet and move up to Windows 7. Hardware should support this I believe - self assembled AMD 64 x 2 Dual core processor with increase to 4gb RAM coming and NVidia Graphics.
    Which version of W7 should I go for please to have at least the same capabilities as at present? I do not do gaming or download films etc.
    Also as I read Windows Secrets advice I should be safe in relying on inbuilt Windows Security after the upgrade perhaps with the added monitoring of Secunia? Currently have Spybot/AVG/Malwarebytes and RegInOut.
    What am I bound to forget when I upgrade? All data backed up to separate HD and copies of software also there when have downloaded but there is bound to be something that I overlook!
    Thanks in anticipation of advice.
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You should download and run the Windows Upgrade Advisor.

If you really need the same capabilities as XP Pro then you should get Windows 7 Pro. Most people can get by with Windows 7 Home Premium. See Windows 7 compare editions for a Microsoft comparison. See Windows 7 features comparison from a third party.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

peterverwood (2012-03-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe