Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Cannot control windows opening sizes.

In Windows 7 (64 bit home premium) Windows appears only to remember the size of the last window opened and opens all other windows in that size. It make no difference that I have selected "open each window in its own folder."

Has anyone found a solution for this?

Thanks
    Hi RalphAllan
    in pre Win7 Operating Systems, Internet Explorer was prone to open however it felt like doing so. Clicking file & exit or closing with the Ctrl key depressed when you had it how you wanted it helped.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    This applies to all windows opened by Windows Explorer: file lists, program folders, etc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think that's perfectly normal (for all program windows, not just Windows Explorer). What do you expect or want to happen?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-03-22 at 23:00.

Thanks
    I don't have that experience. For the programs I use on a fairly daily basis, they open in the same basic position on screen as the last placement, in a slightly shorter window, but the same width (or close enough that I don't notice a difference). I usually drag the bottom border down to the taskbar to get the window to resize to full monitor height (minus the taskbar height). I rarely use fullscreen (except for large spreadsheets), and I always close a window with the red X in the top right corner.

If I move a window and later close it, the next time I use that program the window will open in the area where I moved it.

But the size and placement isn't the same for all windows. Outlook opens in its last position, IE opens in its last position, Word opens in its last position, Explorer opens in its last position, etc. I use Ultimate primarily, but I dual-boot Home Premium. I'll check that side out when I get a chance, and see if it is any different. I'll also look into the options I have selected that may have an effect on window size and/or placement.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think RalphAllan was only talking about multiple Windows Explorer windows, so I believe your experience is the same as his and everyone's, as it's the normal default behavior.

To save positions for all individual folder or system windows automatically, this free utility from SevenForums seems highly capable:

Windows 7 - ShellFolderFix - Manage folder window positions/size

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I think RalphAllan was only talking about multiple Windows Explorer windows, so I believe your experience is the same as his and everyone's, as it's the normal default behavior.
    I don't use multiple Windows Explorer windows; perhaps that is because I don't use the Microsoft style of file/folder organization. I rarely move files, and whatever I need to do with Windows Explorer can be accomplished with only a single window open. But I will look into this further. I'm doing a drive image on my desktop at the moment so that I can do some registry editing to see what can be accomplished with multiple Windows Explorer windows.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    To save positions for all individual folder or system windows automatically, this free utility from SevenForums seems highly capable:

Windows 7 - ShellFolderFix - Manage folder window positions/size

Bruce
    All my program windows remember their basic window position and size, and I use different sizes for different applications. They start in the positions I have saved for them.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    All my program windows remember their basic window position and size, and I use different sizes for different applications. They start in the positions I have saved for them.
    The ShellFolderFix utility is not for application/program windows, but only for folder or system windows (such as multiple explorer windows).

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand RalphAllan's complaint.

I find similar problems if you use a number of the same program versions on your screen at the same time. For example, Windows explorer! There's a function that I like to handle on a fairly regular basis in which I have three windows open on my screen at the same time and I can work back and forth between the windows okay. But, when I sign on again it sure would be nice if I could get the three different windows to come up the way they were in use previously.

If you're listening Microsoft and other software manufacturers, probably all that would be needed would be to carry (for example) the last ten windows settings in memory. As that particular program is invoked, the windows could come up in sequence starting with the last setting to the tenth-last setting each time the User starts up. That should probably handle most any normal requests. In my case, the last to third-last settings would probably always be there when I started up.

As bbearen says, using different sizes for different applications is no problem. The problem comes up when trying to work on a number of window sizes for windows from the same application being used at the same time. I HAVE A LARGE/WIDE SCREEN and perhaps the others complaining have as well - the capability should be available.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDocD View Post
    I find similar problems if you use a number of the same program versions on your screen at the same time. For example, Windows explorer! There's a function that I like to handle on a fairly regular basis in which I have three windows open on my screen at the same time and I can work back and forth between the windows okay. But, when I sign on again it sure would be nice if I could get the three different windows to come up the way they were in use previously.

If you're listening Microsoft and other software manufacturers, probably all that would be needed would be to carry (for example) the last ten windows settings in memory. As that particular program is invoked, the windows could come up in sequence starting with the last setting to the tenth-last setting each time the User starts up. That should probably handle most any normal requests. In my case, the last to third-last settings would probably always be there when I started up.
    ShellFolderFix can remember hundreds or thousands of Windows Explorer folder window positions and save/restore named "work space" collections of them.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-03-24 at 12:00.