New Lounger
    Thanks

Jump Through Files in Open Explorer Folder Using Keyboard

I'm using Using Win 7

I cannot find a solution to this by searching the internet. I get everything but what I'm looking for.

Let's suppose that I have an open folder in explorer that contains a very large number of file. Let's suppose that these files are sorted alphabetically, as is usually the case. It used to be that I could highlight on a file at the top of the list, and then press a letter on the keyboard, and the highlight would jump to the first file starting with that letter. Now what is happening is the cursor jumps to the search box and tries to initiate a search with the letter I just typed. Explorer is assuming that I want to do a search rather than scroll down through the list of files. Somehow a switch has been changed since the initial install of windows and I can't find that switch. Anybody got any ideas how to change this back to the way it was originally?

Thanks

awsmitty

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    awsmitty,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster.

Try not highlighting a file just type a letter, it works for me. Start by clicking in the white space to the right of your files list in the right pane of explorer then type the letter. Subsequently typing will move to the next file starting with that letter, so you don't really have to have the files sorted by name but it is faster to do so. I've found that it you click the file first it wants to rename the file. I'm using Win-7 64 Bit SP-1 fully patched.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks

Folder option

Hi,

the "typed input is directed to the search box" is a setting in the folder options.

In my Windows 7 (32bit, but should not matter, but translated from Dutch, so these options are sure to be called slightly different in US lingo):

Control Panel -> Folder Options, tab "View" (the second tab), locate option heading "Typing in list view" in the advanced settings scrollbox (about the 6th from the bottom).
    This has two options: "Type automatically in the search box", and "Select the typed item in the view".
    The first seems to be the default, selecting the second one made this work for me.

Kind regards,

Eelco
    - Eelco

*** Puzzle me! ***

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enjoy For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2012-03-23),rmonroe36 (2012-03-24)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Eelco,

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that option. Here's a screen capture of the screen in Win-7.
    1. Open Explorer
    2. Click: Organize
    3. Click: Folder and search options
    4. Click: View Tab
    5. Scroll: To bottom of list

folderoptions.JPG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs