Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email Client Due Diligence

I've used Thunderbird as my personal and business email client for years. Now, though, I'm acquiring another practice and the company will no longer be just me. Their current email system has to go (read on for details), so I'm doing my due diligence on a replacement. I'd love to continue with Thunderbird, but would entertain others' opinions of better solutions.

Right now the company I'm acquiring uses the owner's personal email address (hence, the reason it has to go!). It's an MSN address so the current client is Outlook. I couldn't tell you more details than that, yet; I avoid Microsoft software like the plague and haven't used Outlook for 9 years. I do know it performs poorly on the office network (the network is its own problem, but that's a subject for another time).

What I'm shooting for is everyone having his or her own email address, but with access to others' mail when required (it's a very small office, so we all need to be able to step in and do everyone else's work during absences, but this won't be a routine requirement). I already have a domain and a mail host; it's just a client I'm looking for. A corresponding mobile app would be nice but not required; there are plenty of those that will allow people to connect to the mail server as required. This won't, in fact, be required on a routine basis -- in fact, I prefer using POP3 and downloading the mail to our own computers, but there will be times when someone needs to check it outside of normal business hours. We don't travel on business, and I firmly believe that when someone is out of the office he or she is out of the office; the only normal need for outside access is when the office manager is delayed coming in and needs to perform email triage.

As I say, I'm just looking for others' opinions of their clients. I know Thunderbird has several features I've had no need for in the past so I'm looking at those to see what they can do for us, but I've been out of the loop for so long I'm not very familiar with what else is available. Free is outstanding, of course, but low-cost is acceptable.

Dave

Thanks
    G Suite for business will do what you want.

https://gsuite.google.com/

Thanks
    I have the pay-for version of eM Client 7, which can use as many email addresses you desire to generate and maintain. I think one addy will be the top gun, and the rest "underneath". Each computer can have its own eM Client with the ability to monitor and/or use all the others' email addresses. There's a bit of a learning curve, however, I've been using it for some time now. Currently, I monitor and use my personal sbcglobal email, my personal gmail addy, and my two ISD addys.
    By carefully configuring each computer's eM Client 7, each computer can "boss" its own main email addy, and monitor the others. When it comes to dealing with an email server "out there" and eM Client 7, eM Client 7 is much more of a replicator than a backup.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2017-05-26 at 19:39.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsliesse View Post
    I prefer using POP3 and downloading the mail to our own computers, but there will be times when someone needs to check it outside of normal business hours.
    That's easy with POP3. Config the accounts on each client to leave mail on the server. Then anyone can access all of it anytime.

Every so often [EoM, End of Qtr], archive/copy all the PST files and delete the old stuff off the server to stop it filling up.

I had that setup in a small office for years without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    everyone having his or her own email address, but with access to others' mail when required
    Outlook has been our client for a decade or so, but other clients should have something like the approach below.

Put all the accounts on each person's email client.
    For each person, setup a PST file for their main addy;
    Setup another PST file for all the other addys they monitor.

This way, they can keep the secondary accounts/addresses out of the way until needed, and not mixed in with their own main account.

If you prefer just one PST for each person, then setup a few rules in the client to divert the secondary mail into other folders, which will also keep their main Inbox clean.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Access to others mail is the hard bit. You need to delegate everyone but still maintain privacy without having staff to manage the system.
    You may find your host has that ability via the management interface, so using webmail would provide a solution for you.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Office 365 Exchange online will allow you to setup shared mailboxes; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...xchg.150).aspx
    Do your part!!! Report SPAM to http://www.spamcop.net/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try zoho.com.
    It is especially for small business. It has good service.
    It is both free (for personal use) and paid service.
    You might need tech know-how to setup your email system.
    Paid service should solve this problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look at them as time permits (which means not in the next two days due to commitments, but soon).