2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Log files eating me alive

Using Overdisk to look at my C:\ drive, I find 150 Gb of log files that have accumulated on a one T drive since February. On Mar 3, a 513 Mb Firefox.exe.log was written and I don't recall anything particular about firefox that day. Firefox and a remote back up program called BackBlaze account for most of the disk usage.

LogFiles is a top level directory like Users. What switch did I inadvertently set to start writing these things? Why should I have them? When I open a small one in Notepad++, it looks like a Hex dump.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you mess around with any of the settings in Performance Monitor? This sounds very much like performance logs to me, and if I recall correctly, LogFiles is the default directory for such logs. (I once wrote a C# app that added data to the performance log, and got such a folder, it was next to impossible to remove.) But then this is just a guess (in my Win 7 box, the perf mon files go into c:\PerfLogs)

One way to track down which program is creating these logs is is to use Process Monitor from sysinternal (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896645). Run it and adjust the filters to show you disk activity in the LogFiles directory.

Thanks
    Yes, performance monitor not turned off can accumulate an undesirable amount of logfiles if one is not prepared for that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, how do I turn off performance monitor?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Performance Monitor is not the culprit. I'm an admin but not working as such nor am I a member of a monitor group. When I open MMC, there is no log set to disable.

Log subfolders are created in Dan and System folders in LogFiles. Each is identified by date (i.e., March, 28 2012). Only certain things get logged, particularly firefox.exe.log in Dan and bztransmit.exe.log in system. The latter is my remote backup that runs in the background and I rarely pay attention.

Both of these thing involve bandwidth use and I just remembered that I was forced to leave my home office in January and work out of my wife's studio. I tried to use DataJack for my Internet connection using 3G wireless, buying bandwith by the (giga)byte. When I was warned that I had burned through two thirds of the gig I thought would last a month after using it for less than a day (at Kb/sec speeds), I became very concerned about bandwidth use and that's when I must have set up the logging but I don't remember what I did (of course while doing it, I didn't write anything down). In any case, it wasn't performance monitor.

As an aside, both "DataJack" and "Dial-up" start with the same letter for a very good reason.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub