New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I make my AVG antivirus stop updating?

Tried ctrl alt delete and ending the process but it won't stop and been going on forever.

Thanks
    There is an app called What's In Startup that might show the update app running. If so, simply choose it and delete it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Turn your computer off, turn it on again.

And perhaps uninstall AVG and install something else. If you're running Vista or Windows 7, I've found Microsoft Security Essentials to be perfectly adequate.
    Last edited by shondabean; 2012-03-30 at 02:28.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you installed AVG today, then what you are experiencing is not an update, but rather the Cache Server. The first day you install AVG there will be a lot of activity on your hard drive as the software builds a cache of what it considers safe files. After the first day, that hard drive activity should diminish significantly to just a few minutes a day. The purpose of the cache is to reduce future scan time; since the files in the cache are safe files, future scans ignore those files, and thus reduce scan time by about 50%. Personally, I didn't like the Cache Server function because it can automatically activate and, with the exception of the antivirus scan and update, I don't like software that has automatic activity. So, I uninstalled AVG, downloaded and ran their AVG Remover Tool (http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities), reinstalled AVG, and immediately after the installation was complete I deactivated the Cache Server (open User Interface > Tools > Advanced settings > Cache Server). Also, make sure any previous antivirus software products are uninstalled, and that includes downloading and running the uninstall or removal tools for those software products (http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-4400). Don't rely on any antivirus software's internal uninstaller to complete the job, because it usually doesn't; some small pieces of the software will often be left behind to possibly cause conflicts with your new antivirus software.
    Last edited by cloudsandskye; 2012-03-26 at 13:02.