Lounger
    Thanks

Dell Inspiron “Dead” Screen Problem

I wonder if some one can help me with my problem. I have an old Dell Inspiron laptop running XP. The screen has stopped working, although the machine boots OK. The screen display actually shows but so very faintly that it’s barely visible and not able to be used. To use the PC I’ve attached an external screen which works well.

I’d like to be able to use the machine in other parts of my home, but dragging an external screen with it somewhat dampens my desire!

My question is; is this a hardware problem with the screen, or with the graphics card, or an operating system problem? It crossed my mind to try booting with a Ubuntu Live CD to check if the screen works with it, but this involves changing the boot sequence. To do this I have to press F2 when the Dell splash screen appears, but when I press F2 the machine either loads up Windows, or fails to load and the external screen remains blank…. perhaps because the external screen kicks in later in the boot sequence?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mike,

On most Dells pressing F12 a couple of times at the splash screen will bring up the Boot menu that allows you to select the boot device. So go ahead and insert your LiveCD and boot the machine pressing F12 then select CD/DVD device and perform your test.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Since you get a display with an external monitor, it's most likely a bad backlight. See: http://www.ifitjams.com/lcd.htm

I
    f you want to try to fix it yourself, google "replace Dell (your model number) backlight."

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll try both ideas.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

I tried RetiredGeek's F12 idea but with no luck I'm afraid. Jerry's link to ifitjams.com/lcd.htm certainly looks like it might well be the solution. I don't feel confident to try changing the backlight so I'll let my local friendly PC shop have a look.

Thanks