3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

changing defaults in Word 2010

Since installing Office 2010 last year I have been unable to change the defaults (e.g., font, margins). I know how it is supposed to work per the help pages, but using the Set as default > All documents based on the Normal.dotm template process does not result in any change.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Yes. Chances are that is something is preventing saving changes to normal.dotm. This is usually a poorly written Add-In but can be corporate IT.

You can disable Add-Ins and see if that helps. Otherwise, you can try opening normal.dotm directly, making your changes and saving it. Note, do not put any text into normal.dotm. See Normal Template in Microsoft Word - How to Open for more on opening your normal.dotm.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

globalist (2012-03-26)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Charles,

I noticed that you and several MVPs suggest opening the normal template via the immediate mode. To me, a particularly bad typist, that is the worst way to do it. I would make at least 5 mistakes and hit enter at least twice before getting it to open--every time. But I'm guessing there's an advantage that I don't see. Can you tell me what it is?

Pam

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Worked great!

That was the first time I used that utility.

MANY THANKS!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    Charles,

I noticed that you and several MVPs suggest opening the normal template via the immediate mode. To me, a particularly bad typist, that is the worst way to do it. I would make at least 5 mistakes and hit enter at least twice before getting it to open--every time. But I'm guessing there's an advantage that I don't see. Can you tell me what it is?

Pam
    The only advantage I know of is that you don't have to find normal.dot or normal.dotm. Word finds it for you. Because I'm well aware of the problem of typos, I suggest that people can copy the line from the web page and paste it into the Immediate Window.

I prefer figuring out what is blocking the changes to normal.dotm and defeating that block, but that is a much more difficult process to explain.

Take a look at Tony Jollans' article on the normal template to see some of the variations on location and even name for the normal template.
    http://www.wordarticles.com/Articles...tes/Normal.php It is much more complex than I had dreamed.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm pretty much the opposite. I had trouble getting Set as default and New documents based on this template to stick for 10 years. I didn't know about problem add-ons back then and so just navigated to the templates folder and opened and edited normal.dot. I don't have to navigate the long way anymore though. On my computer I have normal.dotm pinned to my recent list. On client computers I use the open dialog to get to it.

Tony's article is very detailed, still I'll guess that over 90% of the normal.dotm's are along the user's path to Microsoft\Templates.

Thanks,
    Pam

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    On my computer I have normal.dotm pinned to my recent list.
    In Word 2010 having Templates appear in the favorites on the FileOpen dialog is a real timesaver.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Truly. In fact that's the instruction I prefer to give.
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2012-03-28 at 10:47.