New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation cannot remove left-over unknown network devices tap0901 (Hotspot Shield)

Hello,

In short: I had problems with Hotspot Shield. I could not remove nor install the program anymore.

A long investigation led me to some stubbern registry entries which I could not remove. Finally, I did ( http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...try-keys/page2 ).

To my surprise, I still could not install HotSpot Shield (which, technically, 'just' uses OpenVPN).

Re-investigating quickly showed the following PROBLEM:
    I have 3 left over 'Unknown device''s.

The following two Google searches did not yield results: 'cannot remove left-over unknown network devices tap0901 windows-7' or 'windows-7 unable to remove network device in device manager -usb -external -bluetooth -wifi' .

I again messed with the registry, removing entries (Registrar Registry Manager) with some 'smart' guessing. Only thing achieved is that the device properties show less and less info ; -)

In the end: I CANNOT REMOVE THESE STUBBERN DEVICES :( And I'm sure (ahum) that once they are removed, I finally can watch my Hulu again...

Pretty please, HELP ; >

Peace!

Devvie

~~~ notemail@facebook.com ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare

All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! ( 95-1 by Coredump; 2-012 by DevNullius)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Below the registry keys I searched for (and, when it seemed smart enough, removed). They all did not make the devices removable :s

unknown device
    tap0901 (BE CAREFUL - ALSO USED FOR OPENVPN!)
    4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318
    TAP-Win32 Provider V9
    \Device\00000054
    oem36.inf

Peace!

devnullius

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Reboot into safe mode without network made one more unknown device (network) removable. Others remain as-is: not to be touched.

Anyone? : )

devnullius

New Lounger
    Thanks
    nobody any more clues? :s Sigh - luckily I have basic USA access with NODVpn beta (free)... Still, love to get hotspot shield again!

Peace,

devnullius

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    do you have an image backup of before these network devices were installed? If not I can only suggest a clean new install of OS. (what ever one that is)
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow thanx for the feedback!

Yes, I am slowly arriving at (almost) the same conclusion as you are...

But instead of a full new installation, I bet (know! from previous experiences...) that a Repair UPGRADE will fix everything, for it will re-create all hardware devices.

Before I really do that, I will first check how to re-create your hardware profile - I believe there was a trick for that.

Also, I asked more help in OpenVpn.net's forum, here: https://forums.openvpn.net/topic10209.html

EDIT: I will close that thread THERE; upgrade solved problems!

I appreciate all help, and if you know something feel free to reply where ever - I'll keep a close aye on all threads : )

Thank you & Peace!

devnullius
    Last edited by devnullius; 2012-03-31 at 07:40. Reason: solved + solution

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by devnullius View Post
    nobody any more clues? :s Sigh - luckily I have basic USA access with NODVpn beta (free)... Still, love to get hotspot shield again!

Peace,

devnullius
    Hello...
    Just a "long shot" ...Control Panel> Phone and Modem > Enter "Area code" the next screen click "Modem" and then remove...Just a "WAG" Regards Fred

PS: The program might (think) it's still running (open) ...so you won't be able to delete with conventional methods... Try and have a look in "Services" and see if it's there.Also you could look at the GUID table and have a look around for "Upper and lower filters" As always do a complete OS backup before you delete anything ...Make sure that your "recovery disk" can boot your PC and that you can see your image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-03-30 at 09:28.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hee Plain Fred : )

What you thinking with the GUID's? Remove all GUID's for network?

Also, I checked your loooongshot Modem. Nothing there ;p

Curious what you propose,

Peace!

devnullius

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by devnullius View Post
    Hee Plain Fred : )

What you thinking with the GUID's? Remove all GUID's for network?

Curious what you propose,

devnullis,
    Hello...In the past i have had programs that i just couldn't seem to load or remove ... one of the things to do is after removing (un-installer type) is to use this free program ...Ultimate file search just configure it to how you wish to search ( inside folders, what drive, etc. ) Then ..manually remove all that is found ...sometimes there will be a folder that remains that you need to remove before you can delete anything "Registry" ... If you can find your program in the GUID's ...Delete it or export it (just the Info.. upper or lower filters etc...not the key) and re-boot ... Remember "Full Image Backup" first Going off line for a few.... doing a PC rebuild. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-03-30 at 15:13.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

devnullius (2012-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you : )

I went for the 'shortcut' (in retrospect).

I did an upgrade installation, hardware hyves are recreated, all network adapter sheit is gone and last updates are being installed as we speak : )

Thank you all, still I wonder how one could totally 'reset' Windows' hardware.

Oh, for all curious, I also used the excellent CAT.exe (Crisis Aversion Tool) to reset the registry permissions and network adapters. It too, failed.

Peace! And till next time... :s

devnullius