Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Reconnecting to network-attached storage drive

A few years ago, I set up an NAS drive in my home: a Western Digital My Book 1TB drive. I set up the drive from my desktop computer and assigned myself a user ID and password. The only other computer on the network was my wife's laptop, which at the time (if memory serves) was still running is original Windows Vista OS.

Well, a lot has happened since then. For one thing, we sold our house and moved in with our daughter and her family. There, we set up our computers on the son-in-law's unsecured Wi-Fi network. I left the NAS in a storage box for several months. During that time, the desktop computer died. To further add to the story, I replaced the old desktop computer with a MacBook Pro, plus the network has a different domain name from the one I'd used when I set up the NAS device.

I recently connected the NAS to this new domain, but I can't get into the password-protected folders on the NAS. Yes, I have the original user ID and password, but the NAS does not recognize my credentials. I suspect it doesn't like the domain name. I can get into the public folders from my wife's laptop, but not the password-protected ones.

My first question: Is this situation hopeless, or is there some way to break into those folders?

Second question: Will I ever be able to get into this NAS with my Mac? It's running the new OS "Snow Leopard."

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    At a pinch you may be able to take the drive out of the NAS and connect it to the PC direct. There is unlikely to be security on the disk itself.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. I'll give that a try.